Chase Spirals >proper

angus40

Senior elf
It took me awhile to figure this in Ae .
I used ramps rather than solid colors to give the 3d effect and also
to tame down the brightness of the pixels .
active

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Looks great Angus. Have been putting off asking as I didn't want to appear silly but curiosity has got the better of me. What is Ae.

angus40

Senior elf
Ae = After effects from Adobe .
This is one of the best applications I have had the pleasure to use for creating effects and syncronizing to audio .

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
So you use Ae to get the effect/pattern you want and then somehow take this into HLS to control the actual lights. How do you get from Ae to HLS.

angus40

Senior elf
You are correct , I create the effect in Ae at per/ frame level or beat frequency then export the render as a .png sequence with the desired aspect ratio to suit the element it will be placed on in the sequencer.
Hls and Xlight/nutcracker have import features for this , in Hls under the pixel plane tab you select " convert folder of png images to effect "
this will generate a external pp effect that will be saved to the hls\nutcracker folder by default.
in Xlights\nutcracker using the "picture " function , the process is similar in that you direct nutcracker to the folder where you exported your .png sequence .

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks for explaining it. It makes a lot more sense now.

So is a .png file a single image or can it be animated to show multiple images following each other. I hope this makes sense. I guess what I'm asking is do you have to import a new .png file for each beat in the pattern or does the one .png file cover the lot.

angus40

Senior elf
Sorry , I was not very clear on the .png file.
When in Ae I set the effect duration using start and stop markers
Once ready to render . I set the render output to png sequence thus creating a series of images that comprise the entire effect/duration .
this can be done in photoshop also < actually nutcracker /pictures prefers the output of Ps compared to Ae .

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks again Angus.

So when I'm in HLS/Nutcracker do I have to load a .png file for every beat in the effect/pattern or does the one file hold all the images for the whole effect pattern. I guess I'm trying to work out how labour intensive the process is.

It certainly seems like a good way to set up almost any pattern/image you could think of.

What sort of cost is it to get Ae.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Excellent. I (and I'm sure others) would really appreciate that. Please don't feel obliged to give this priority over other things you have going on though. I am in no rush, just interested in all the options available out there.

Thanks again for your help.