checking to see if i am doing this correct

bassnbuck

New elf
I have the advatek pixlite 16 that i am goin to have 4 outputs per pixel section. If i have power coming from the board, each of the outputs 4 outputs would be supplying 156 pixel matrix. can i just use a 2nd power supply to inject power on the back side of the small matrix. in other words (pixel #1) would get power from the board and (pixel #156) would back feed from 2n power supply. if i do it that way does it use to much power from just the coard or would it be about equal? Total pixels per side of board is 1148 of the 2812b.

does it draw the same amount of power from both front and back of matrix?

thanks for the help

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Im not sure if you have read the ACL 101 lighting manual but this is in there regarding injection as well as many posts within the forum, so the answers to your question is already well documented with diagrams.

But in a nut shell if you inject with a different power supply then you dont connect the +V between these. But you must connect the data and ground together. This way each pixel section is 'seperate' from eachother as far as power is concerned. The reason we connect just the ground is to ensure that there is the same ground potential between power supplies as if this was not connected then you may get flickering of the lights.
By not connecting the +V you effectively seperate the power systems so the current will be equal between each section

So generally power supplies cant be connected together in a parralled way unless thay have this specific ability and most dont, because not all power supplies are created equal and what will happen is one power supply will take on more load than the other or the current will swing back and forth between them due to these manufacturing differences.