Christmas Gift Ideas

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
My wife is chasing me for ideas for my Christmas present. I don't really need anything but thought I may as well as for something that could be useful for my lights hobby. I have asked Mum for a heat gun so that is covered. The outlaws are lined up for some Big W lights. Any ideas on tools etc that you always wished you had. Maybe even lights, materials, effects but it has to be able to be purchased in Australia.

Habbosrus

Back again
A decent soldering station. I have crappy $15.00 Ebay job. It has done the job though with some persistence. Absolutely everything I've done/made has been on a shoestring budget (just makes me more inventive). But at least it brings smiles to faces :D

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
My wife got me a Raspberry Pi B+ kit......
I feel like a 10 year old on X-mas eve, can't wait to get it...
:D

scamper

Dedicated elf
Habbosrus said:
A decent soldering station. I have crappy $15.00 Ebay job. It has done the job though with some persistence. Absolutely everything I've done/made has been on a shoestring budget (just makes me more inventive). But at least it brings smiles to faces :D

Right on there!
I had a weller soldering station for 30 years... Yes that is right 30 years. And the useless thing packed up just when I started this hobby :'(
I bought a temperature controlled one off ebay and don't get me wrong it is good, but things like the the cord to the hand piece is stiff and gets caught, It is very light, so it moves around on the bench.
A good iron is a godsend :D

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks for the tips so far. Already have a soldering iron. I know it's not the best and I understand the benefits of a better one but that's just the way it is. Rasberry Pi! Not sure what they cost. Not sure I want one just yet. Again I can see benefits but it is also something else I have to learn how to use. Then again I would be like kid in a toy shop too if I got one. Probably rather put money into the lights at this stage though.

I know it's boring but I do need some storage for the bits I seem to be collecting. Any ideas on that front. Also more than willing to hear of any "I always wished I had........" regardless of how impractical, superfluous etc etc it is. Whilst it is always good to get things you need for Christmas it is also good to get the things that are not compulsory but come in handy.

mborg10

Michael Borg
I got timber to build work benches for my birthday. 2 benches 1.8m long x 0.9m wide

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415352710.348134.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415352710.348134.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 7

scamper

Dedicated elf
Masters have some black plastic crates that are good for storage and very reasonable in price. They have a few different sizes so you can get them to suit your stuff, or shelves.
I use 2 different sizes and I print up a photo of what is inside and silicone to the front for quick reference.
(I used to use a labeller and name them, but my eyesight isn't what it used to be!)

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
My wife got me a tool belt a couple of years back. Its been excellent. Holds zip ties, twist tie, insulation tape , shears etc.. When setting up everything is at your fingertips..