Christmas LEDs Setup Question

mreyna16

New elf
Hello, I'm trying to put permanent leds on my home, mainly for Christmas. The setup I want is basic. I have already bought the main components. I have 17 (5 Meter) 5V BTF branded SK6812 RGBW that are 30 LEDs per meter, and a Quinled Dig Quad v3 controller plus all the wiring and brackets needed to wire them up. What power supply to get for my setup?

I bought 279 feet and will need approximately 240 feet. I don't mind getting a power source for ALL 279 feet. According to their website, the strips I bought use 9W per meter. So that means I will need 765W for all 17 strips and if my math is right, I need a power supply that can withstand 153 amps (please check my math). What DC power supply is recommended for what I need? They say you should get a bigger power supply than what you need so you won't over load anything, should I go bigger?

Also, if you guys recommend multiple power sources for whatever reason, or any pros and cons to what I'm trying to ask, please let me know.

TerryK

Retired Elf
Well before anything else, welcome to ACL.

Must admit I'm not quite sure where to start. I guess first I do not think too many ACL members use SK6812 pixels and I suspect even fewer use any SK6812RGBW pixels. Based on datasheets, the SK6812 is similar to a WS2812B and is a 24 bit pixel. Just about any controller should drive them. A SK6812RGBW is a 32 bit pixel so my question immediately becomes; do you know if the QuinLed controller you purchased will drive a 32 bit pixel?

As to power supplies, Meanwells are frequently used and it is possible to drive everything from a single supply or multiple supplies. If single you will need to find a supply that provides more than the 765 Watt at 5 Volt and the 153 Amp. You might look at Meanwell's RSP-1500-5 for a single. Meanwell makes a RSP-750-5 which covers (barely) the wattage but that supply is only good for about 100 Amps so one can rather quickly see that power supply wattage rating doesn't tell the entire story. Which by the way, the SK6812 datasheets are vague as to the RGB (and W) LED currents. In any case driving a single LED or decreasing the LED drive current will cause a drop in pixel amperage. A quick calculation seems to indicate about 60 mA per pixel.
If using multiple supplies perhaps the RSP-500-5. Rated at 500 Watt and good for 90 Amp per supply. Two of these would work I think. With multiple supplies you would need to more less equalize the load say putting about 7 or 8 pixel strips on each supply depending upon how the meters/feet work out. More than 2 supplies works similar, just within reason and not overloading any supply, divide the pixel strips between them. Just make sure that the V+ of any supply does not connect to the V+ of another. A common connection of their V-'s is all right (and recommended).

And last, there's no need to go overboard on the power supply rating.