Christmas spirit poisoned by bad people

Karob

Let there be Light!
We get asked many times if there is any comps to enter regarding lights, we tell them that we are not interested in any comps as we do this for more then one reason.
1. The pleasure of seeing the lights go on after many months of hard work.
2. The smiles on the kids faces that lights up when the snow machine roars into life, or the eyes stuck on the lights in a daze that they dont hear anyone asking if they want a lollipop.
Our foot traffic has been good this year, and that is thanks to the other houses in the area that have been doing lights and these numbers are increasing which is great, many dads have blammed me for them now having to put up lights.
As our neighbourhood is still a newish area full of busy people and we all do not get a chance to get to know each other durring the year, but as Christmas Lights start up we are finding we are getting to know more and more people in the area
We decided this year to get more into the facebook and advertising in websites, only to let more people know about this great hobby, the one that keeps giving and giving.
Merry Christmas Everyone, let your Led lights shine bright for you and your family.

burner

Full time elf
We don't enter any competitions here either. Our estate ran one a few years back, and naturally we had the best display by far, however because of our history with the developer, we did not win (prize was a plasma tv). The poeple that won did the lights for 1 year only, and basically bought a bunch of lights and threw them around the front yard. Our display has always been organized and symetrical. After the competition was judged, we had lots of people asking us how the tv was and assumed we'd won. They were all surprised to find out that we didn't win.

Now going back to the forum topic, we had lots of foot traffic and cars last night. We were ready to turn in last night (about 11pm) when we heard 2 fireworks go off. I said to my wife, that sounded pretty close, and thought nothing else of it. 2 doors down at the end of our court, the neighbor was putting together his sons bicycle in the garage, and stepped out to check it out. The pattock at the end of our street was on fire. We had his kids and wife banging on our door, and I grabbed my garden hoses and extenders and myself and the neighbor were out there setting up a fire break. Just so happens 2 weeks ago the owner of that land cut the grass 10m from the houses, but the rest of the grass that was alight was over 1.5m tall and there were lots of large river red gum trees there. The fire trucks came a few minutes later and spent the next 30m putting it out.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Great to see you take the high ground as winning a comp is nothing compared to the joy you put into the visitors hearts that come to see your display becuase they love it nor becuase you won a compitition.

Baron14

New elf
Always take the High ground and light up your display for what the season is all about: To celebrate CHRIST's birth. The joy and spirit you see in people's eyes and their smiles is the motivation to continue to be creative and not the competition in my opinion.