ChromaGlow Present Assembly

Jarrad33

150k of Pixels for 2023
@David_AVD and made a set so far that I know of. I should of asked him today when I picked up some gear

I need to know as well as I got a set to populate.

i13

Dedicated elf
Are you modelling these in 3D? The model is 2D. When I modelled these in 3D, I removed the ribbon pixels from the 2D model and drew the ribbons as two arches above it. The presents look dome-shaped in the preview but it is better than 2D models in a 3D preview.

CarlM

New elf
Hi, I'm finding these extremely frustrating. No matter what I do with the wiring view its still all garbled on a 24" screen. "Export Large" doesn't help. Nor "Front" or "Back". "Rotate 90" would help if it was around the Y axis not Z.

CarlM

New elf
Thanks. Sure did try.
Full Screen:
Medium.jpg
Zoomed:
Zoomed.jpg

I figured out the small one using "node layout" but that is confusing for the medium as it looks like the base is 90 deg out

Katekate

Senior elf
I have some of the medium and large ones of these.

The only way I could get a reasonable view of it was to open the model editor and then you can step through the 3d layers from front to back.

Be warned that all the sizes arent wired the same way. the large ones are around the base, up the back ribbon, then down the left side, up the front to the bow, then down the right.

Mediums start on the left ribbon, go straight over the top including the center, around the base, then from the back ribbon over to the front.

CarlM

New elf
Thanks for that explanation! I managed to figure out the medium size using "Node Layout" after doing the small. Sounds like the large is similar to the small wiring too. I've left that for last.

Dreamin

Full time elf
They are all differently wired.

I juggled between the 3D images under model data, you can spin it around and see different sides. If you press "show wiring in model preview" you can see how the strings jump around. Worked well. For areas I couldn't figure out well like the jump over the center pixel in the middle (in the 3d view i just goes past each way) I used the node layout (right click model, select node layout) and that worked well to figure it out. Did my head it but it worked. :)

CarlM

New elf
They are all differently wired.

I juggled between the 3D images under model data, you can spin it around and see different sides. If you press "show wiring in model preview" you can see how the strings jump around. Worked well. For areas I couldn't figure out well like the jump over the center pixel in the middle (in the 3d view i just goes past each way) I used the node layout (right click model, select node layout) and that worked well to figure it out. Did my head it but it worked. :)
OMG Thank you! This is exactly what I needed! I was using node layout but this is soo much better.

Did you check out the video (a few posts above) I made on the large one?

The others are much the same.
Thanks, I have and am referring to it as I do the large one. The others have differences though, eg. I found the medium starts on a side and does zig-zags for the base.

I've totally been over ambitious for my first year at this but hopefully I'll get most stuff out. I intend to post pics and do an intro but I'm under the hammer to get everything done.

Thank you all for your responses.

Back to pixel pushing.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Generous elf
I am using a 3D layout. I wasn't crazy about the wiring order for some of the present sizes, some of them had more large jumps than I thought necessary, or had more than one place where it went between the base and the top. The submodels were also not as good depending on which present it was.

I redid the wiring so there is only one place where it hops from the base to the main present (allows it to hinge open), and rebuilt the submodels. If you want mine, they're here:

As far as using the wiring diagram, I found it easiest to just open the model data, flip through the sheets, and get an intuitive sense of how the wires went, rather than trying to trace the spaghetti in the wiring view.

YMMV.

Dreamin

Full time elf
I am using a 3D layout. I wasn't crazy about the wiring order for some of the present sizes, some of them had more large jumps than I thought necessary, or had more than one place where it went between the base and the top. The submodels were also not as good depending on which present it was.

I redid the wiring so there is only one place where it hops from the base to the main present (allows it to hinge open), and rebuilt the submodels. If you want mine, they're here:

As far as using the wiring diagram, I found it easiest to just open the model data, flip through the sheets, and get an intuitive sense of how the wires went, rather than trying to trace the spaghetti in the wiring view.

YMMV.
Good idea, the wiring was a nightmare!