Clarification of something that was said in todays forums

mrpackethead

Full time elf
The following was said today in the chat;

(16:29:22) fasteddy: a few have asked about MPHs offering and ive told them not to hold yoor breath
(16:30:15) fasteddy: MPH will get somthing done but it wont be an offereing for the DIY community
(16:30:47) fasteddy: and if it is it will just be gerber files and a hex file

I woudl liek to say, that fasteddy did not take the time to talk or ask me about this. I take it that is his personal opinion which he is entitled to. His comments do not reflect my intentions.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Its funny how things look out of context when someone send snippets of a conversation. . We were discussing your new design for the E1.31 controller and a few have asked about about waiting for that and knowing that you will design something as you need to for your gigaforest i would doubt that you would offer no more then the board design and hex files especially this close to Christmas. So for people wanting to hold off who think they will get an offering more then the board design and hex files when you have already stated that your not in the business of doing group buys, but will put his designs out there for the DIY community, and you do that.

So if I was incorrect in my advice regarding your new E1.31 design with people who do not have the DIY skills as you and a few others who are DIYC members do, thinking they should wait 91 days out from December then I apologize.
And if you do create more then just the board design and hex files and release something that more than just the higher skilled DIY person can get their hands on for a decent non commercial price then ill be happy to look a fool. So please make me look like a fool if its a good price ill even buy one.

And yes it is only an opinion and nothing else that's what chat is usually about.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Ok,

Andrew - if your not happy about the comments then please state your intentiions clearly so that people can make clear choices about direction and purchasing decisions.

I for one think that the (i hope friendly) rivalry we have can only ultimate progress the equipment in this hobby to un-imagined heights.

I will raise my hand and say i have said similar things about yet to be confirmed releases, including my own. Chat involves a lot of forward thinking, potential plans, vaporware and other things that people should not rely upon.

Andrew further to that, you passed a comment that you "might" just sell off your E4 boards assembled and some people got excited, the entire chat session included discussion around would these be available to the community. you have often stated that you are not interested in group buys with justified reasons and i respect that it will lead to comments like Eddie's and my own that we may only see gerbers and firmware, after the current stock of boards is exhausted.
You have a clear commercial focus with a solid interest the Christmas Lighting Community (DIY or otherwise) and that is respected, certainly by me.

I trust that as this is the BBQ Area that we can crack open a beer and continue life as it should be..

For all members that may read this, this forum is about many things not just DIY and innovation and boundary pushing are two more that come to mind.

Cheers
Phil

cenote

Suburbs of Philadelphia
AussiePhil said:
I trust that as this is the BBQ Area that we can crack open a beer and continue life as it should be..

Did somebody say beer...
41beber.gif

mrpackethead

Full time elf
Ok, so heres the real oil.

We will make the E4 available as an assembled and tested "bare board". That is to say, all components will be loaded and soldered. This will probalby be of interest to the DIY/Enthusastist crowd. ( bring your own power supplys, external cables, box etc ).. We will of course also be selling it as a fully finished product ( this is our main market, for our commerical customers ).. We can do this, because we are running this board already, and the incremental effort for selling it, unpackaged is minimal. The support we will offer on it will differ..

As for a time frame, i am not making any firm commitments to that. If everything goes well, it could be 30 days away.. If it doesn't well.. So, if you have an urgent decision to make, don't' bank on this being ready for 2010, or you may be disappointed.

As for a price point, we have to work that out accurately, and we will get back to you.. I envisage that it will be in the US$70-$80 area.