Clarify DMX channels

Porsche

Full time elf
Hi guys, just need to double check this will work.
I am building a snowman this year, 14ch (dumb) and will run a Ray 27 for him..
Even Being only 14 Channels, Im a little worried the board will be close to power capacity draw.
Can I just run 14 channels from 1 Ray, say channel 1to 14. then on the next prop start Ray 27 DIP switch at Channel 15 and so on. then in LSP just assign the appropriate channels??
you don't have to leave the remaining channels dormant do you. You can spread say 27 channels across a few different boards, just adjusting the Dip address accordingly yeah??
Just thought id ask before I went to far with this snowman.
cheers

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
You can do whatever you want with dmx boards as they have no idea what is driving them or what else is on the network. If you wanted to you could have multiple boards on the same start address or you could have 1 board per single channel. It is possible to modify the board to get some extra amps out of it. There's an old post of mine somewhere in the 27 channel thread that tells you how to do this. If you are desperate for extra amps and didn't want to just keep throwing boards at a prop then my new DMX36 board will do 120A over 4 zones of 9 channels each. Even the power hungriest of props should be able to be satisfied with that.

Porsche

Full time elf
Thanks Alan, I might look at that. I'll see how the 27'sgo when I power up. I've got a heap of them to use.
But maybe your 36 might be a much easier option. I'll be in touch mate.