Closed White LED Strobes PCB Only Closes Wednesday 7th July AUST - CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Re: Bulk Buy - White LED Strobes PCB Only Closes Sunday 4th July at MIDDAY AUST

*******************************************UPDATE**************************************

OK, so as most of you will know by now, Phil and I have decided to make a few changes to this board to make it more versatile.

What are we doing?

We have included room on the circuit board for a low cost transistor, this will allow the strobes to be "triggered" from a very low current source.

In addition to this we have also made room for a very low cost 6 pin PIC microcontroller on board to handle random strobing of the led.

What does this mean?

With all the components on the board the strobe will be able to be powered from a 5v power supply at all times and then one channel on your controller will start a pseudo random strobe pattern between all boards.
ie one controller channel will randomly strobe alot of boards.

So we have three options:
1. build as a two wire basic channel controlled constant current LED
2. build as a three wire device that has low trigger current from say a buffer driver (2-3mA required)
3. build as 2 or 3 wire plus the addition of a PIC to provide random firing of LED like a real strobe.

Cost of individual boards and number of boards in a panel have not changed

IMPORTANT CHANGE to LED Info

The voltage you can run the board at now is determined by the build option, if you build it as option 3 with the PIC then the Max voltage is 5v
Five volt LED options include
Any single 1w LED, 8mm required if using FH45 covers
or
Any single 0.5W LED (recommended), 8mm required if using FH45 covers

If you don't use the PIC then it is possible to run the board at 12v, options then are
Any single 1w LED, 8mm required if using FH45 covers
or
Any single 0.5W LED (recommended), 8mm required if using FH45 covers
or
three normal 5mm or 3mm 20mA LED's connected in series

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator

i will take 200 please

Steve

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks

smartalec said:
toodle_pipsky said:
50 for me please :)
did you want 50 panels or are you Irish. :D

No, not Irish. Just able to follow instructions. ;)
"Please indicate the total number of individual boards you want, i will handle any part panels to get your total."

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks

In light of my previous post, this is going to make me sound like a jerk - oh well.

After being in chat, I'm a tad worried. Just been reading these posts up and down and I can't see anywhere where there's a mention that these are surface mount boards. Am I blind or just copping a bit of schtick in chat? (The impressing I got was "didn't you know?" - and um, no I didn't know) If these are surface mount how tinny are the parts? If I can't do it with what I got (i.e. soldering iron) I'm afraid I got in without knowing the full story and will have to back out!

A little bit more info on these strobes might be helpful (set it for the tone of someone who knows less than a pile of gravel ;) ). Ta muchly!

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator

Ingrid

You certainly have my sincerest apologies if anyone came across that way in chat, i'm sure none of us meant it. I guess it has not been clearly mentioned that these involve some SMD parts as the photo of the PCB was put into the first post that shows the surface mount pads.

The use of surface mount parts will be a normal feature of projects here and there will be were possible all attempts made to use parts that can be managed at a DIY level.
In this case the resistors are 1206 size and the constant current driver is SOIC, both are in many ways easier to solder than some through hole parts. The smallest component is the 6 pin PIC on the reverse side of the board and whilst small is still not hard especially with nothing around it.

In many ways this is a near perfect entry into Surface Mount DIY as the boards are dirt cheap, not many components to solder and they are hard to kill.

The project can be as simple as 1 resistor, 1 led and one driver or you can add the rest of the components for more features.

Having followed your adventures since you started i have no doubt that once you have a go at these you will get the hang of working with surface mount parts and never look back.

Cheers
Phil

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks

Ha! Don't worry Phil, I'm not bummed out by chat (how long have I been chatting to you guys now . . . . how many other million things could I have taken offence to? hehehehe). I guess I was just a little surprised that there was an assumption that all knew this was surface mount. The pcb layout doesn't mean much to me - really do know less than that pile of gravel. If I'm the only one who didn't know, well that's down to my own silly ignorance!

Thanks for the run down on the parts - if you say it will be easy enough and doable for beginners, I trust your judgment.

Thanks Phil. :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator

As Phil has said this is a perfect project to get introduced to surface mounted devices (SMD), they are cheap so if you do stuff up a couple its not going to bust the bank. The parts are not too small that it makes it difficult. I myself have not done any SMD work before but I'm excited at the prospect of doing this with the strobes as I know if i do stuff it, it wont hurt the budget that much but by the end of it all ill be very confident with SMD soldering.

Hats off to Tabor and Phil for creating a project that will allow us to develop our SMD soldering skills with minimal risk.

kkmm

New elf

Gidday Phil,
I am game to have a crack at these tiny little things can you put me down for 3 panels (120), what is the post with all the bits included?

Cheers Ken

kel

Dedicated elf

fasteddy said:
As Phil has said this is a perfect project to get introduced to surface mounted devices (SMD), they are cheap so if you do stuff up a couple its not going to bust the bank. The parts are not too small that it makes it difficult. I myself have not done any SMD work before but I'm excited at the prospect of doing this with the strobes as I know if i do stuff it, it wont hurt the budget that much but by the end of it all ill be very confident with SMD soldering.

Hats off to Tabor and Phil for creating a project that will allow us to develop our SMD soldering skills with minimal risk.

As I will have more stuff ups than most, I'll need at least 200 (5 panels) pls ... lol

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Re: Bulk Buy - White LED Strobes PCB Only Closes Wednesday 7th July AUST

All

Official Extension of this for a few days to just confirm that the new code for the PIC code actually functions in the circuit.

I will now close this on Wednesday 7th July at Midnight Australian Eastern Time.

It will take me a couple of days to collate info across the two forums and get PM's out to everyone to pay for the boards, please be patient.

Cheers
Phil

Goldie

New elf

Hi Phil

I'd like to increase mine to 400 (10 Panels)

jonedwste

New elf

Hi there,

I am already down for 80 but would like to up it to 100 please.

Thanks,
Jon (jonedwste)

DanoNJ

Full time elf

I'll take 2 panels = 80 pcbs w/ pics,
Thanks.
Dan

fj

Apprentice elf

put me down for 200 (5 panels) please.