Common power for SSR

matt_65

New elf
Hi all,

I am assembling my controller (Grinch) and SSRs onto a piece of MDF and wanted to find out what are my options for the sharing of power. So my SSRs have incoming, one half of the lights connect to the SSR and the other to a neutral wire.

As I have 8 SSRs (this year, plan to double next year), I wanted to try and reduce the amount of cables needed.

Is it possible, and safe, to have some kind of common power rail such as dual brass strips which have a short cable connecting one rail to the SSR and all of the lights connect the neutral wire to the other common rail?

I have attached my controller board, I would want the common active rail between the rows of SSRs.

If he common rail is not the best method can you recommend a better alternative? My main aim is ease of maintenance, durable but also modifiable (not necessarily quick) and mainly neat.

Thanks,

Matt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30

Skunberg

Full time elf
Typically SSRs are used out in the yard close to the display items to minimize the amount of extention cords. With your mounted SSRs you'll have four extention cords per SSR going out to the yard.

matt_65

New elf
I'm ok with that, I was initially going with SSRs close to lights but once I factored in the price of enclosures and network cable I figured for the 24V lights running speaker wire is way cheaper. For my 240V lights I will be putting the SSRs as close to the lights where possible.

JPB

Full time elf
matt_65 said:
Is it possible, and safe, to have some kind of common power rail such as dual brass strips which have a short cable connecting one rail to the SSR and all of the lights connect the neutral wire to the other common rail?

Matt, that sounds okay.
I am with Skunkberg in that I have my SSRs out at the lights and just run a power lead and Cat5 back to my controller(s). I find that this gives me a faster setup and the wiring looms are much thinner which means I can poke them through smaller holes to get them from inside the garage and out from under the roof tiles.

I have my SSRs in these cases. The vertical fuse holders make them a tight fit but you can replace with inline fuse holders.
http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=617&osCsid=99de85c93cc5dc9008a0cac446c51d43

BTW that Triton has seen better days.

Jon