Computer Power Supplies re-used for displays

oldmanfathertime1000

Computers, music, audio, video, electronics
Most all of us have some old junked computers or can get some. The power supply in it may be able to be converted for Blinky use.
I have used them for 2 years so far & have had no problems yet from them.
It does require some effort to convert them but it may be good enough to save you some money.
The very early XT ones are not worth the effort. I have found that maybe one out of 5 will work correctly.
The ATX ones will work great however. Every ATX one I converted has worked ok.
I only did the 12volt & 5volt connections. I had no need for the other voltages.
Each one cost me about $8 in parts from radio shack.

Link:

http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply

remoteutah

Full time elf
I thought I would toss this in for anyone who didn't know. Any ATX computer power supply can be made to "work" without a motherboard attached by simply connecting the green wire on the 20/24 pin connector to ANY black wire on the same connector. This can be done via insulated jumper or by simply cutting and spicing both wires together. If you put a switch between the 2 connections, you will have a power switch for the supply.

DanoNJ

Full time elf
I do the same with grounding out the green wire. I have several of these units through out the yard powering my motorized props as well as landscape lights I use for spot lights.

jerrymac

Apprentice elf

elvatrdude

One can never have too many hobbies.....
OMFT, excellent idea. Saved me from spending $200 on lab PSU's, plus if one fails during the "season" another can be procured just about anywhere-quickly. Also solved the problem of finding a dual voltage PSU with enough current capacity. Thanks :)

Binkles

Full time elf
Yeah, I'm loving using a computer power supply. I have set up a box with 12v out one side, and 5v out the other.

Built a switch in the side for power on and off, and bingo.

Love that they are easy accessible.

rvenegas

Apprentice elf
I`m doing the same, although I ordered 2 power supply from China with Ray, I decided to use some ATX power supply I got for power injection. I just made some modifications replacing the cables from the board to the light's connectors to increase the current without any problem such as overheating or short circuit. Also I installed a switch to turn it on and off without opening the box (oohh, I forgot to say, I installed it inside of a plastic box water proof.)