Computer power supplies

Cee DeLights

New elf
Hi guys,

Has anyone used computer power supplies to run their pixels?

I've collected a few over the years when I've been upgrading my PC's - ranging from 600, 750 and 1000 watt PSU's just gathering dust. Hence, I thought I can re-purpose these for my setup.

Admittedly, they are not the slim Meanwell form-factors, so I'll need to be creative with how they are mounted in the enclosures etc.

Having said, they should be on par with power and performance to the Meanwell power supplies - but hoping to get some feedback from anyone who is using them.

Last edited:

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I use computer power supplies for my non pixel display. I've opened one up and all the same voltage wire coming out are connected together inside anyway. I'd open it up, detach all thin wires used and solder a much thicker gauge cable.
Using PC power supplies are good if you have different voltage pixels (12v and 5v).

I'm using no more than 5 amps across 4 power supplies. The white box contains two power supplies that didn't have sufficient enclosures. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DRXc1bm-V8FskTdgjEJV3X6_s4trj-eQ

ICon

New elf
I am new to this hobby, but currently using a computer power supply for testing and learning. I find they make a good supply for the testing and learning as you get 12v, 5v and 3.3v for playing with different pixels, esp8266....

I still have not decided what to use for my display, but am considering some salvaged HP server supplies. So many things to consider, and where to spend $$$ and what to make do with in the first year or two is something i have been thinking about.

Cee DeLights

New elf
Generic PC power supplies aren't interesting because the power is split across multiple rails/voltages. Server power supplies are more interesting, I use a few 1200W 12v ones.
Thanks for the feedback Daryl....I may actually have some spare server power supplies kicking around, so I'll check them out :)
Much appreciated.

Cee DeLights

New elf
I use computer power supplies for my non pixel display. I've opened one up and all the same voltage wire coming out are connected together inside anyway. I'd open it up, detach all thin wires used and solder a much thicker gauge cable.
Using PC power supplies are good if you have different voltage pixels (12v and 5v).

I'm using no more than 5 amps across 4 power supplies. The white box contains two power supplies that didn't have sufficient enclosures. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DRXc1bm-V8FskTdgjEJV3X6_s4trj-eQ
Thanks for the feedback Mark.

Cee DeLights

New elf
I am new to this hobby, but currently using a computer power supply for testing and learning. I find they make a good supply for the testing and learning as you get 12v, 5v and 3.3v for playing with different pixels, esp8266....

I still have not decided what to use for my display, but am considering some salvaged HP server supplies. So many things to consider, and where to spend $$$ and what to make do with in the first year or two is something i have been thinking about.
Thanks Icon, same here...Im also still a newbie to pixels and using PC power supplies for now just to get my head around the overall "circuits" needed for my build.

christmassparky

New elf
Generic PC power supplies aren't interesting because the power is split across multiple rails/voltages. Server power supplies are more interesting, I use a few 1200W 12v ones.
where do you rip these out of? if im to buy say second hand? as a sparky i have access to trade accounts so thought this would be a better cost effective way

bpratt

Senior elf
got them a couple of months ago, so this will be the first Christmas for them.

I've bridged the - (negative) between the two of them, as they will be powering my 1600 pixel megatree, 270 pixel chromastar, and a couple of other props via my f16v3.

christmassparky

New elf
c
got them a couple of months ago, so this will be the first Christmas for them.

I've bridged the - (negative) between the two of them, as they will be powering my 1600 pixel megatree, 270 pixel chromastar, and a couple of other props via my f16v3.

can you send me a picture of this? trying to find some now, as i would rather alot more juice and not worry about having to run more power

christmassparky

New elf
Just a simple wire that goes to the - negative on one psu to the - negative outputs on the other one.

I'd have to pull a bit of stuff out of my box to be able to get a photo of it. :)
o fair enough. sned one though of the whole box if you can. :)