Confused over terminology

Denny

New elf
In the Nutcracker Effects Builder, there are the following questions: " **How many Strings will be in your tree:"
and " [/size]**How many strands will you make out of each of your strings?"

[/size]I have (what I would consider strings but will call them lengths here) 24 lengths of 42 pixels per length. I would like to connect four of these lengths together. I would normally think that connecting strings together makes a strand, but the second question above seems to indicate this is incorrect. Is a strand a subdivision of strings? Should the second question actually read something like "How many STRINGS will you combine/incorporate into a STRAND?" In other words, if I connect four lengths of my pixels together, is it considered a strand?

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Denny,

I believe Sean is using the US based megatree terminology were a strand is made up of multiple strings.... doesn't really translate that well to pixels.

I am however not going to guess the exact meaning and hopefully Sean will educate us.

Cheers
Phil

kane

Dedicated elf
Denny said:
In the Nutcracker Effects Builder, there are the following questions: " **How many Strings will be in your tree:"
and " **How many strands will you make out of each of your strings?"
I have (what I would consider strings but will call them lengths here) 24 lengths of 42 pixels per length. I would like to connect four of these lengths together. I would normally think that connecting strings together makes a strand, but the second question above seems to indicate this is incorrect. Is a strand a subdivision of strings? Should the second question actually read something like "How many STRINGS will you combine/incorporate into a STRAND?" In other words, if I connect four lengths of my pixels together, is it considered a strand?
My understanding is that in your situation, because you are joining four "lengths" together, then you have 6 "strings." You would then say that you are doing 4 strands out of each string.

Skunberg

Full time elf
I thought in Nutcracker a string is the legnth you buy or build and strands are when you fold a string. So one string with two folds is three strands.

smeighan

Dedicated elf
Skunberg said:
I thought in Nutcracker a string is the legnth you buy or build and strands are when you fold a string. So one string with two folds is three strands.

Way back in february i had a thread where i said i needed to define strings, strands pixels so there would be no confusion. I can see sean=fail.

In Nutcracker a string is the physical device you buy. a CCR is one string of 50 pixels. RJ's pixel netallows a single string to have up to 128 pixels. You can buy strings with 128 pixels from Ray Wu.

You tell me how many physical strings you will be using, i connect them together to build your tree.

A strand is the vertical length of one side of your tree. Fold a 1x50 CCR into two parts , each would be a strand in my notation.

My starnds all start with nutcracker pixel #1 at the top. I have a mapping table that maps my strands and pixels back into your strings and pixel#'s

smeighan

Dedicated elf
Denny said:
and " **How many strands will you make out of each of your strings?"

I have (what I would consider strings but will call them lengths here) 24 lengths of 42 pixels per length. I would like to connect four of these lengths together. I would normally think that connecting strings together makes a strand, but the second question above seems to indicate this is incorrect. Is a strand a subdivision of strings? Should the second question actually read something like "How many STRINGS will you combine/incorporate into a STRAND?" In other words, if I connect four lengths of my pixels together, is it considered a strand?

so on nutcracker you would have 24 strings each would have 42 pixels. a string is the physical thing you buy.

one other note is if you are planning a half megatree, when i prompt how many strings do you have?
i am asking for how many strings it would take to make a full megatree. so if your 24 strings were to be configured into a half megatree you would builf your target as

48x42
and then in each effect set the display window to 180 degrees. I will now export 24 strings of animation.

hope this helps

Denny

New elf
Let me see if I understand this now. This is my first year with pixels and E1.31 and I plan to do a mega tree this year (and a globe next season). I have both the ECG-P12R and the E681, but not sure which I will use this year for the mega tree. Am I correct in the assumption that I can connect four strings of 42 pixels together to create a single universe to connect to either of these controllers? If so, I would have 6 universes of 168 pixels each with my 24 strings. I plan to make half a mega tree and thank you for the clarification on setting it up in Nutcracker; somehow, I missed the information that I needed to use 48 strings in Nutcracker! I plan was to put pixel one at the base of the tree and go 42 pixels to the top, then back down from the top to the bottom with the next 42 pixels, then back up again, which would give me 4 runs of 42 pixels up and down the tree. Is this possible in Nutcracker or do I need to modify my set-up? How should I enter this information into Nutcracker?

smeighan

Dedicated elf
Denny said:
Let me see if I understand this now. This is my first year with pixels and E1.31 and I plan to do a mega tree this year (and a globe next season). I have both the ECG-P12R and the E681, but not sure which I will use this year for the mega tree. Am I correct in the assumption that I can connect four strings of 42 pixels together to create a single universe to connect to either of these controllers? If so, I would have 6 universes of 168 pixels each with my 24 strings. I plan to make half a mega tree and thank you for the clarification on setting it up in Nutcracker; somehow, I missed the information that I needed to use 48 strings in Nutcracker! I plan was to put pixel one at the base of the tree and go 42 pixels to the top, then back down from the top to the bottom with the next 42 pixels, then back up again, which would give me 4 runs of 42 pixels up and down the tree. Is this possible in Nutcracker or do I need to modify my set-up? How should I enter this information into Nutcracker?

it is my understanding that each physical string needs to be connected to a controller. so for your 24 strings, you would have 24 wires. if your controller allows 4 strings to be connected and treated as one logical string (ie 1x168) then you would build the mode different

so your target is either
24x42 (this is what i would think as normal)
or
6x128 , if you built it this way you woud answer that you are making 4 strands out of each string.

thanks
sean