Controller location & connection

CDI.083

New elf
I'm building a new home and was wondering how everyone links there PC (Software) to their controller boxes? Do you literally have 5 data cables running outside to connect to the controllers? I've looked through here already and can't find examples of connections back inside? I know some systems are R2R and use SD Cards directly but for systems running from a PC what are you doing? Currently I have one data point outside in my build but I know I'll need more. Thanks in advance

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I have a cat5 cable connected form my main home router that goes into another small switch in our front room for CCTV, TV and PCs, and a cat5 cable from this that goes into my garage. In the garage I then connect this cable to another small 8 port switch and on this I connect my raspberry pi (show controller) and all my pixel controllers that are out in the display via cat5 cables.
I have the rPi powered 24/7 during Nov/Dec and means I can access it and (when powered) the controllers at any time, from any PC connected to my home network.
In your example you could omit the rPi and just use a PC indoors. So long as you can get a single connection from inside to outside and can have a switch powered and running outside where all the pixel controllers can connect to (and preferably somewhere that is weather protected and safe)

CDI.083

New elf
I have a cat5 cable connected form my main home router that goes into another small switch in our front room for CCTV, TV and PCs, and a cat5 cable from this that goes into my garage. In the garage I then connect this cable to another small 8 port switch and on this I connect my raspberry pi (show controller) and all my pixel controllers that are out in the display via cat5 cables.
I have the rPi powered 24/7 during Nov/Dec and means I can access it and (when powered) the controllers at any time, from any PC connected to my home network.
In your example you could omit the rPi and just use a PC indoors. So long as you can get a single connection from inside to outside and can have a switch powered and running outside where all the pixel controllers can connect to (and preferably somewhere that is weather protected and safe)
Thanks. I'll look into a weather proof patch box outside on the wall and all controllers can run back to that

i13

Dedicated elf
If you're using a PC indoors for a show outdoors, you might want a way to get your audio signal outside. It depends on your exact setup.

Stating the obvious, you'll need power there too.

CDI.083

New elf
Ok so today I bought a Raspberry PI 4. I still have 1 data point running outside but I'll use the Pi and a separate switch to run my controllers. Seems that what most people do. Now to build my control box. I've seen some great boxes on here and some messy as ones. Lets see how I go lol.
I have plenty of external power points so I can always build a few boxes and just run back to the switch if need be