Controller Options - need advice

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
I have been away for a while but are now looking to purchase some new hardware (controllers & lights) to expand the show this year.

My dilemma is I need to purchase additional controllers but am not sure what way to go. Last year I used all Pixlite 4's & 16's and was very happy with them however price to NZ is looking pretty steep. I do like the option of only having 1 type as having to learn several more packages can be problamatic for my already full melon but a mix isn't the end of the world

I use Vixen 3 and intend to use my FPP this year to drive the show. Lights at this stage are all ws2811 for candycanes, mini trees and 16 string 75 node midi tree.

I haven't been following new options closely lately so advice would be appreciated. I am not adverse to using pihats etc.

Cheers Kev

I'm extremely biased, but you can't get a better board than a Falcon. David Pitts and the boys are leading the way... F16v3 had just been released, only issue you may have is the cost as they are only made in the USA at the moment, Daryl did a bulk buy for us (Thanks again Daryl), maybe there will be another one before December?????

scamper

Dedicated elf
I'm extremely biased, but you can't get a better board than a Falcon. David Pitts and the boys are leading the way... F16v3 had just been released, only issue you may have is the cost as they are only made in the USA at the moment, Daryl did a bulk buy for us (Thanks again Daryl), maybe there will be another one before December?????
Totally agree. I too use Pi and vixen and have 2 falcon f16v2's
The newer version 3 is better but I didn't need one or have the funds at the time of the bulk buy.
They are just so easy to setup via a web interface, and you can use almost any led on them and even different chips. They have "virtual strings" which means if you use different light types on the same output (ie rgb and brg etc) you set it up as a virtual string and change the output to suit.
If there is another bulk buy before the year is out, I would definitely grab one of them.

jimmeh

New elf
Hey Kev
I am only still pretty new i got myself an alphapix4 for my first controller only cause of funds situation otherwise i would of bought a falcon as the guys have said everyone would pretty much say to go the falcon v3, There is a huge range of options, easy to use and you get a lot of bang for your buck as they say lol. You get your money's worth and then some so its a quality controller (not saying any other controller isnt) but pretty much falcon is leading the way in controllers IMO (noob opinion). hopefully they do a bulk buy cause i believe ALOT of people would be down for grabbing a couple :)

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
It's like XLights vs Vixen 3. You seem to stick to the one brand, I love the Pixlite controller myself. Never had an issue, Australian made and customer service is second to none, from personal experience.

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
It's like XLights vs Vixen 3. You seem to stick to the one brand, I love the Pixlite controller myself. Never had an issue, Australian made and customer service is second to none, from personal experience.

Yep I think you're right, last year I had 3 of the Pixlite 4's and 2 of the 16's. I tend to not worry about using all of the usable channels per controller and run controllers near the elements, trees, candy canes etc which is probably a throw back to the old DMX setup I ran in the past.

I did download XLights and have a play and it is great but I will most likely stick with Vixen3 as I do like the simple interface. Both fantastic programs and we are very lucky to have such generous people developing them for us to use.

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
Well I bit the bullet and ordered another Pixlite 16 today, I wanted to avoid the pre-Christmas panic. I do hate buying in US$ as everything seems to increase by 1/3 when you convert to NZ$ but that's they way it goes.

Anyway controllers sorted, best get the lights sorted next.