Controller Question

bdt

Apprentice elf
Looking for some controller advise. My wife wants me to turn on the lights that trim our house for smaller holidays like valentines, St Patrick day, etc. She said I don’t have to sync them to music and she would be happy with displaying colors and patterns. I think it would be easiest to use a controller that is remote controlled and has some preset functions. Any recommendations on controllers or setup suggestion would be appreciated. - Thx

i13

Dedicated elf
One thing that I did find with that strip is you only need to send it the signal once. If you disconnect the data line it will continue to stay lit. I don't think this'll damage the first pixel but you don't want to hot-swap them on/off a controller output that also powers them.

averagebloke those are the same but I'd almost bet that their RGB order will be different so buy everything you need for a display item from the same seller and at the same time.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I use the Minleon Wireless controller for this purpose because its a waterproof controller and is very flexible which allows me to choose up to 3 of my favorite colours I want to be used in the effects, as well it allows me to save my favourite 10 effects with my chosen colours and use these to create a show from my chosen effects. Simple to use directly from your phone, but unfortunately this is not a DIY solution without a DIY price, so I doubt this would be what you are looking for. If the minleon wireless controller was promoted in the same way as the below linked controller then we would be able to say that there are 10s of thousand of effects and colours to choose from.

bdt said:
Will this controller work for these strips, remotely controlling colors and patterns?

RF Remote Controller 133 Change 4 WS2811 WS2812B 5050 RGB LED Strip Pixel Bar [12V RF Controller]

This option is much cheaper and is DIY but is limited to the colour choice and effects as most of the listed effects are really groups because they are using fixed colour for the same effect and doesn't actually allow you to choose a colour outside of the 7 listed colours, so not really 133 effects. But for the price its a great option

bdt

Apprentice elf
Thanks Eddy, it would be cool to use a phone. I submitted an enquiry for price.

mborg10

Michael Borg
I have been down the DIY path but now for anything permanent you can't beat quality.

I too use the minleon WEC for feature lights in my garden near my spa and pergola.

I have also wrapped a customers feature tree with 625 G20 minleon lights controlled from a WEC and a distributer (5x125 sections.)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
bdt said:
Thanks Eddy, it would be cool to use a phone. I submitted an enquiry for price.

As I mentioned this is not DIY and is a closed system, so that means it only runs using Minleon lights, so Rays lights will not work with this controller. But I have replied to your message