Controlling dummy RGB with WS2811

pagrosse

New elf
Hey guys, I'm knew to all this and just have a few questions.

I ordered 10 2811 strips from Ray and a P2 from J1sys. My question is, can I just sacrifice one node of the 2811 and use the RGB output that would be normally just controlling those 3 RGB LEDs and add a RGB amplifier to connect to dummy RGB strips? Or even easier, couldn't I just use N-channel mosfets and wire the 2811 RGB output to the gate and effectively have an applified output to run higher currents?

I don't see why this wouldn't be possible and makes for a super cheap dummy RGB controller for my dummy RGB strips and other RGB items.

THanks,
Paul

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Your second option will definetly work because all your using is the 2811 chip to drive a FET and others have done similar things using other chips.
The first option im not sure about as the 2811 drives in constant current (I think this can be also set to constant voltage) So im unsure how it will go with a standard DC amplifier but very well may work if its able to be set for constant voltage because a dumb strip is controlled by voltage as the current limiting resistor are on the strip, so i would expect that an amplifier will need to see voltage changes to effectively work as apposed to current changes.