Converting a ropelight star to pixels

vk3heg

Full time elf
HI Guys,
After many years of service (6+ in use, 4 in storage) my 90cm wide, 8 spoke ropelight star has developed a fault with one of the spokes.
As it's a decent size, and ropelight is annoying to work with, I'm thinking about converting it to pixels. (That's the easy time consuming bit).
The hard part is using 12mm Bullet node's or Square nodes so they all face outwards.

Has anyone converted a large item like this, and what was the result?

Stephen

Robbo

Full time elf
assuming it is a wire frame? You can get some wire frame clips to clip the pixels to the frame...

Attachments

• 49199475_2366550233372719_5656878443191599104_o.jpg
    49199475_2366550233372719_5656878443191599104_o.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 44

JPB

Full time elf
I have changed some of my wire frames to pixels using square pixels. Attached using a thin cable tie on the diagonal, works well.

vk3heg

Full time elf
Here is a picture of the star. Clips wont work as the wire frame isn't round.

Attachments

• IMG_20191231_135202.jpg
    IMG_20191231_135202.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 44

JPB

Full time elf
Here is a close up of one of my wire frames with square pixels.

Attachments

• wire frame_sml.jpg
    wire frame_sml.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 45

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Black cableties (usually uv stable) for the win!

franky_888

Full time elf
How much do the pixel nodes move?

On our star this year, quite a bit - particularly if you haven't tied back the excess wire between the nodes and you rest that wire against a wall after lining everything up perfectly :mad:

We didnt bear down too hard on the ties as the holes in the sides of the square strip seemed quite flimsy and likely to tear open.

JPB

Full time elf
How much do the pixel nodes move?
They move while being handled during setup but once the wireframe is mounted it takes less than a minute to roughly straighten any that are way off.
Not really an issue.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
Another possibility is to use rope light channel, placing the 12mm bullets inside of it. We use this on all of our permanent mounted lights (eaves, windows, etc.) and it is great. No movement, constantly pointed in the 'right' direction, and easy to repair if a pixel does go bad.

bretheron

Been bitten by the bug.
If you have bullet nodes you can simply tie them to the frame "end to end" you will not notice that they are not pointing out. Also you can do it so everything is double the same way it is now on the "Snowflake". That way you can get better groups when you break it down for sequencing.

DavidJ247

Full time elf
HI Guys,
After many years of service (6+ in use, 4 in storage) my 90cm wide, 8 spoke ropelight star has developed a fault with one of the spokes.
As it's a decent size, and ropelight is annoying to work with, I'm thinking about converting it to pixels. (That's the easy time consuming bit).
The hard part is using 12mm Bullet node's or Square nodes so they all face outwards.

Has anyone converted a large item like this, and what was the result?

Stephen
Hi Stephen, I did this with my ropelight star and am really pleased with the results. You can replicate the original ropelight effects for a vintage look which is fun but also pixels allow you to do so much more with the prop. You could consider simply laying bullet pixels end to end, they produce a very wide field of light so there really is no need to have them face outwards. I simply attached mine to the frame with a black (UV stable) cable tie on each bullet, nice and tidy. Been in use now for 4 seasons with zero issues, still going strong. Some pics and a piece from one of my walk-through vids attached below. Good luck with your project, keep us posted.

Star - Ropelight.jpgStar - Pixels.jpgStar - Close up.jpg

Last edited: