Cooked P2

Boof63

Senior elf
Hi guys here is photo of back of my P2 board , part looks cooked as did the smell emanating from it (no smoke) .is it fixable or is it a brick. Cheers and thanks for help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 39

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Thats what happens when powering the lights from a P2. Because there are no fuses (Which helps in cost) most of us power the lights externally and use the P2 for earth reference and clock & data output. No wire gets connected to the P2's power out to pixels

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Looks like you cooked the +v track as the design of the P2 is not to supply the power through the board but instead supply the power seperatly and connect the data, clock and ground only from the P2 output to the pixels, you then connect the grounds together and connect the +v at the pixels.

The reason for this is the P2 is a budget orientated controller which has lots of processing capabilaties but as far as power capabilities this was one of the trade offs to make them low in cost. So by connecting the P2 the way described above you should still be able to use the P2 as thats the way it was really intended to be connected all along.

Boof63

Senior elf
Ok guys thanks for that will try the correct method from now on!!!! :-\

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
I back feed the power from my pixels to my p2s which means I don't have to worry about load on the controller or about powering it.