Creating a large matrix

Bridgette

Apprentice elf
Hi All
Looks like things on here are settling down a bit and most have their displays up and running, congrats to all, now Ill start asking questions.
As u know Im starting pretty much from scratch again so the skys the limit, well maybe my bank account is lol but cant wait to get into it again.
So im living in the CBD in newcastle in one of the main entertainment areas on the main strip along the harbour, I have a very captive audience :)
I have an apartment on the lower floors but up off the ground and its a corner apartment with a large concrete deck and a large park in front of me.
I have drawn up pretty much what I want to do, one of the elements Id like to have is a large matrix, my deck is concrete and so is the deck wall, I have the best place for a 9 or 10 metre long matrix by around 1 m high, this is a major project that I need to get correct first time. Ive looked at all sorts of variations in pixel counts per metre, and horizontal runs per metre and controller boards etc. This would be a major part of my display, Id love everyones suggestions on how they would do it, pixel types, spacings, controller boards etc, I have in my mind my preference but theres probably something ive missed big time, looking foward to hearing from u all
Thanks all
Bree 8)

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
My matrix is designed to be viewed from 5-10 meters and is 25mm spacing, but would be cost prohibitive at the size you want. A lower resolution (Higher distance between LED's) would be fine depending on viewing distance if yours though - even 50mm may look good.

Bridgette

Apprentice elf
Hi
I looked at 60/m and yes the pixel count and logists were prohibitive, so I was thinking 30/m maybe, from what Ive been reading 10/m isnt a good enough resolution
Even at 30/m the controller board count is getting up there

Bree

westy27

Apprentice elf
My matrix has 80mm spacing, video can be seen in my post on pixicles. Viewing distance, you can easily see words 7m + away.

Bevo

Let your Light Shine before men
I have a 10m matrix using the 10/m and people view it from about 30m away at my front gate which is where I took the videos from and in real life it looks a lot clearer.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
It really goes down to what you want to achieve with you matrix.

Do you want something that does mainly colour transitions and effects with text or do you want something that you can draw animations on like i have done in the past. Also you must take in the distance the audience is from your balcony as there is no need fo a high resolution if its not going to really be needed

I have low resolution matrices using the 10 IC/m strip, so my tree, my big matrix and my mini matrix are using this strip. I find that im able to still get great effects with these resolutions without having a super computer and I also find that I can create animations very easily which seem to be very effective. Using a much higher resolution will require more work to seuence, to drive, to power and control.

So its a balance between these above mentioned factors that you need to wiegh up as each situation is different for each person, so what works for me may not be the best solution for you.

kane

Dedicated elf
Another option could be like my "fuzzy" matrix, using tint tubes with 2811 strip inside. In my case, I've got 36 tubes, each with 1.5m of 2801 strip (18 pixels). I run it off a single e681

Hoping to get some videos taken tonight of it in action as part of the show, but here's an early test video: Tint Tubes Fuzzy Matrix

Bridgette

Apprentice elf
I guess since my limited space these days that this will be a main focal point, literally the hundreds and hundreds of cars that pass are 60metres away, my captive audience at the pubs and cafes are 150 metres away, the people at some cafes aand the beauty sallon and park in front are literally 10 to 15 metres away.