Cushings Disaease - in dog

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Hi. Moderate me if you feel this is inappropriate but my dog has Cushings disease.

Veterinary diagnosis and treatment has cost me over $4k this year, with no improvement, and have now stopped all treatment.

Has anyone had this in their dog or horse?
There are herbal treatments using Chaste berry but only available in Aussie down this way.
Any help would be appreciated.

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
I believe my mate's dog has the same. Similar situation to you, lots of $$ spent. Dog would get sick, have the hard conversation of do we treat or . . . then doggy would improve. I believe they manage with diet and meds and have found a good balance. I'll get specifics.

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
toodle_pipsky said:
I believe my mate's dog has the same. Similar situation to you, lots of $$ spent. Dog would get sick, have the hard conversation of do we treat or . . . then doggy would improve. I believe they manage with diet and meds and have found a good balance. I'll get specifics.
Thanks TP. In herself she's great just weighty now.

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Yeah my mate's doggy has cushings. They were back and forwards to the vet trying dosages and have now found something that suits doggy. She also has a strict diet. She's much better now, but the meds have made her deaf. However she's back to her delightful self despite the deafness.
They don't do anything herbal, but my mate suggested to keep trying, maybe try a different vet? She said "4K was a drop in the ocean for what we've paid". Sorry, that doesn't sound good.
We looked into pet insurance a few years ago for our doggies and they were too old. This may have changed since, but we found that insurance wouldn't cover dogs over 7 years old - that is couldn't cover a 7 year old and cover stopped when they turned 7. There is a chain of vets here that offer their own insurance type deal, for a couple of hundred a year you get free yearly jabs, free consultations and discounted meds. A good deal if your doggy needed ongoing care. I think it was Greencross Vets.
Good luck, I hope you find a treatment for your doggy.

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
TKS TP. Funny I was at a vet not long after she was diagnosed and there was a woman who had spent $12,5k on her small dog and I thought NOT ME but it happens. You just treat them as family.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 11

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Is that a staffy Dennis. They are great dogs. Very friendly. The next door neighbour has had two. First one called pumpkin, second one, mango.

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Well spotted, yep Staffy female (if it' not obvious from her favorite pose LOL) 11 years old. Two years ago the wife got the house, I got the dog, a fair trade I recon. Names Reba after Reba McIntyre the country singer.

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
The Cushings Disease finally caught up with my dear friend of 12 years and I had the task of having her put down on Tuesday with chronic heart failure. On Sunday she was dragging the lawn mower around, as usual, then two days later it was all over. The right end at the right time.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Not good news Dennis. A tough thing to go through. Always sad when your "little mate" passes on.

mborg10

Michael Borg
They are our best friends but unfortunately they wear out before we do. I have 2 kelpies and I'm not look forward to that day. Sorry to hear about your loss