Custom items (strings, connectors, anything) from Ray?

mararunr

Here to learn! (and share)
3505 NW Edgewood Ave, Bentonville Arkansas, USA
Has anyone ever asked for a custom string from Ray other than changing the spacing? If so, how was the process, any pointers you can share, etc.? If you've had any custom work (connectors, etc.) done, do you have any pointers?

Why am I asking? I am planning on asking Ray to make a string of pixels similar to the below but customized in a way that will require them to be made with more attention to detail than is probably done normally (it's around spacing, but it's very inconsistent spacing rather than equal spacing of a certain amount). I started to make my idea from an existing string of the below but I'm only about 1/4 of the way done with my prototype and I'm fully convinced I can pay Ray to do it for far less than the amount of time it's costing me.

Just looking for any pointers at all to help with the process. Thanks in advance for any advice.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Promoion-DC5V-50nodes-WS2811-pixel-light-12mm-diameter-IP68-rated-256gray-scale-all-WHITE-wire-epoxy/701799_1557006174.html

mborg10

Michael Borg
I got Ray to make some custom tees for power injection. I would supply him with a drawing. Funny enough the drawing I sent Ray, he actually uses on his website now.

You cannot have to much detail when it comes to custom orders.

Don't order towards the end of the year. He gets super busy and can rush custom things and make mistakes.

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
make sure you give him schematics with all spacings labelled the clearer you make it the more chance you have of ray getting it right remember there is a language barrier when you do your drawings make sure you do it in a way a 6 yr old can read it and its not cause Ray is stupid but from past experience dealing with overseas manufacturers the slightest thing that doesnt look 100% you will get a product that is not 100% what you want

Baf05

Full time elf
I had him make me a number of custom strings last year, it was 5 pixels at x spacing, then y spacing before the next 5 at x spacing. It did take a couple of emails, but in the end I got exactly what I wanted and saved me hours! Not only that, the custom string didn't cost me any extra either!