Custom Prop Modelling Question

jules_beck

New elf
Hi everyone....so this is where it all started for me and my interest in blinky lights 😂....I first came across a video on YouTube from Sleigher Bobs Holiday Lights channel and was amazed!

I am starting off this year with a couple of mega trees, some arches, basic outlines and a few coro props. No dedicated sequencing or use of an FM transmitter etc yet - just starting very basic for my first year.

However, in the years to come I want to make some props similar to the ones that Sleigher Bob made. Custom props for singing snow(people), an elf on drums, Santa on guitar etc....

What is involved in making such props work in xLights for custom models etc? I'd guess that these would be similar functionalities for props like singing trees etc....so what do I need to start researching? i.e. file types/models/wiring diagrams etc...?

Any info would be greatly appreciated please.

I have attached a link to one of the YouTube videos for an example of the props.

View: https://youtu.be/-TSKcNlX7_o

Thanks in advance.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Hello and welcome! The addition of a couple megatree's can be seen as more then basic items to start! with that said start early!

The best advice I can give is to search youtube and look for videos on custom models. There are some out there from Canispater Christmas, xTreme Sequences, Keith (xLights) and more. I'd advise to look for newer videos within the last couple of years since creating custom models have advanced during that time. Those are mostly about making xLights models.

Looks for videos on making wire frame props for Christmas lights. There are several of those out there also. That should get your started.

Dean

jules_beck

New elf
Hello and welcome! The addition of a couple megatree's can be seen as more then basic items to start! with that said start early!

The best advice I can give is to search youtube and look for videos on custom models. There are some out there from Canispater Christmas, xTreme Sequences, Keith (xLights) and more. I'd advise to look for newer videos within the last couple of years since creating custom models have advanced during that time. Those are mostly about making xLights models.

Looks for videos on making wire frame props for Christmas lights. There are several of those out there also. That should get your started.

Dean
Thanks very much for the info Dean. Much appreciated.