Custom Strings for Props

CDI.083

New elf
My question is why can't you buy (as example only) the Impression Gingerbread train ( https://christmaspropsaustralia.com.au/product/impression-gingerbread-train/ ) that takes 1010 pixels, a single string of pixels 435 with space then 360 space then 215 pixels for the 3 pieces in sequence

Now I know that you need power injected, but surely with a prop that's fairly common like Impression or Boscoyo you could buy a string of 12mm pixels with power injected leads at required distances instead of cutting, splicing etc.

I know part of the joy comes from creating but for those that are time poor and still want to go down this route, not motifs or Bunnings etc.....

What am I missing? Or are they available and I'm looking in the wrong spots. Thanks

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
You can order custom strings made up however you like from the Chinese and some of the American vendors. Any specific requirements such as PI points, lengths, pixel spacing etc. Just be prepared to pay for it that's all.

The prop based string lengths and requirements are very specific, varied between props and low volume that it's not in the manufacturers interests to make them as standard items.

CDI.083

New elf
You can order custom strings made up however you like from the Chinese and some of the American vendors. Any specific requirements such as PI points, lengths, pixel spacing etc. Just be prepared to pay for it that's all.

The prop based string lengths and requirements are very specific, varied between props and low volume that it's not in the manufacturers interests to make them as standard items.
Fair point. I would have thought there would be more demand that's all but I guess even lead in wires and connections would be different per person so that takes away the standardization.

Thanks

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
I ordered around 7000 pixels of custom lengths with Power injection wires included. The other 5000 pixels I ordered were standard 50&100 length strings.

Basically no difference in cost and saved a bunch of time not having to solder/cut etc.

Only downside is waiting the 2-3months for the order. I ordered as part of the Lightitup-LEDs presale earlier this year. But as I didn’t need them till like June I had them well ahead of time. Give Paul an email and he can sort you out. Highly recommended.
If you want to read my ramblings of how much I love custom strings, check out out my build thread