Cutting Pixel Strands

Baron

Apprentice elf
Hello. Quick question. I have a strand of 50 pixels and want to cut off 4 to make the strand shorter. What do I need to do to the wire now that it’s cut? Thx for your help.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Wire the pig tail back on if you would like to use the connector to daisy chain more lights. You could just leave the chopped end and cover it with electrical tape if you want.

For wiring a pig tail (connector):
Best to use a multimeter and figure out which wires correspond to which pin. This is a guide but I suggest checking for yourself to be sure; https://www.wiredwatts.com/learn-connectors

Then look inside the last pixel, the wires going out should have text above it.
+12 or +5 is power, DO is data out and GND is negative.

Post pictures if you have any problems/concerns.

TerryK

Retired Elf
Sounds like you have no intention of daisy-chaining another string or more pixels so in such a situation I cut the wires to slightly different lengths, fold them over, and heat shrink them putting the wire fold(s) inside the heat shrink. The wire fold creates a 'bump' in the shrink keeping it from working off or further on the wires. The different cut wire lengths help keep them from shorting if the insulation works back a bit or if moisture seeps inside the shrink.

Baron

Apprentice elf
Yeah sorry I should have stated that I have no intention to connect anymore lights to the strands. These lights will go in my Boscoyo chroma letters. Thx for all your help.