Cutting Pixel Strips

Porsche

Full time elf
Gday guys, Im in the process of cutting my WS2801 strips to fit in my windows.
Being this is my first year of lights, has anyone got any advice on how to cut these to make the 90 degree corners.
I can see where the strip is marked to cut. Im assuming cuts are made there. But what is the best way to rejoin them to get the corners.
Im going to cable tie the strips to a pvc fame which will slot into the window frame.
Thanks

G

GoofyGuy

I cut them with industrial shears. Perfect line. From there on each open side slid about 4" of 3/8 shrink tubing 3:1 ratio over the clear sleeve. I used 8" 18/4 wire and soldered to each end to the strip to reconnect them this allows the wire to flex instead of the strip when you round the corner. Then pull the heat shrink so the center of the heat shrink is over the soldered connection. In each end I used Silicone II from GE (outdoor) and squeezed about a pea sized drop on each side of the silicone that the strip came inside the heat shrink as far down as I can get it, and on thet wire side a pea sized drop again as far in as possible. Then apply heat. This makes for a nice weather proof connection, as well lets you make the corners.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
WilliamS said:
I cut them with industrial shears. Perfect line. From there on each open side slid about 4" of 3/8 shrink tubing 3:1 ratio over the clear sleeve. I used 8" 18/4 wire and soldered to each end to the strip to reconnect them this allows the wire to flex instead of the strip when you round the corner. Then pull the heat shrink so the center of the heat shrink is over the soldered connection. In each end I used Silicone II from GE (outdoor) and squeezed about a pea sized drop on each side of the silicone that the strip came inside the heat shrink as far down as I can get it, and on thet wire side a pea sized drop again as far in as possible. Then apply heat. This makes for a nice weather proof connection, as well lets you make the corners.

Similar to what i have done

anon

Apprentice elf
WilliamS said:

Very similar to what I've done too....except using black 2:1 and 2". Heat shrink is as small as possible to fit over the strip, yet shrink down over the cable.