Data cable run lengths

Boof63

Senior elf
Two questions please ,
1. if 6 core cable (security 14/020 ) can I run 2x pwr, 2x dat , 2x gnd or will 2x data screw up the data?
2. saw a post and cant find it again , how big a cable do I need to run data approx. 10m without using null pixels, or is that just overkill. As i'm losing data even with a couple of nulls in the existing run.

cheers Boof63

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I found 6m was my limit last year with standard three core lengths that Ray cells. My understanding is the you should be able to go a bit longer if you double up on the wires as described which I am hoping to do this year. But maybe someone can give more accurate real world results with doubling the wires ( also depends on what thickness the wire is in the first place)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Given 6 cores to play with I'd go with 3 for gnd, 2 for + and 1 for data. The data is only carrying mA whereas the 2 power wires could be carrying amps. Having a nice solid 12V or especially 5V at both ends of a cable run is the key to getting the best possible distance.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
jediknight2 said:
I don't think you can use two wires for data...do a search and you will find it screws with the signal

Ok, that's interesting to know. I thought I had seen discussion on this forum about doubling data wire but I might have misunderstood.

Boof63

Senior elf
tried the search as I had read it somewhere before as well (I thought) but couldn't find it, hence the question
thanks again
Boof63

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Running 2 wires will cause issues due to slight differences in the cables, so you will get signals reflecting and not matching which will cause you issues. there is no benifit to doing this and in fact have found that larger cables can also cause issues with the signal due to cable impedance. Also length has a lot to also do with the first pixel and its stability as not all pixels ICs are the same, there is also local electrical interferance that can cause issues with a degraded signal due to length. What many have found is what worked in bench testing has required a dummy pixel when installed