Data & GND query

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
Might be a dumb question, but looking to clear this up so I can continue rebuilding a couple of my boxes.

Do you need to run a ground wire for each port on your controller when power injecting from an independent power supply?
Currently, I have 7 ports running my megatree and I am taking data and GND from each of these 7 ports and then picking up GND and + from the independent power supplies and feeding to the relevent sections of the tree - it works flawlessly in this configuration (so why change it 😆 ) - there is a poorly prepared illustration of this below just to put it into a visual.

What I am proposing / considering is to continue to run my 7 data from the controller and reducing the GND runs - is this a no no?

Reason for this is I want to put a connector at each end (currently, I've been hard wiring it so just makes setup and pull down a little more time consuming).
If I use a standard (Christmas lights) 3 pin connector, I would need 5 of these and only use 3 pins on 4 of them and 2 pins on the 5th one. Obviously using a different connector would be more suitable such as a 2 pin x 7 or if I could consolidate my GNDs I could potentially use a configuration of 3 pin x 3 (9 pins giving me 7 for data and 2 for GND)

Hopefully I've explained this well enough and happy to hear any suggestions on best way to handle this.

So yeah, go to town and put me in my place please

Attachments

• GND Query.JPG
    GND Query.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 17

merryoncherry

Senior elf
It's not about how many ground wires, it's about how much metal is there to keep the potential the same so the data signal has a clean reference. (One thick wire is better than 7 little ones.)

If I had your config I would run 2x differentials (8 ports total) and get the receiver w/the power supply. That signal is designed to transmit cleanly over a longer distance. But I have all that stuff lying around here, so it's an easy choice for me... two data jacks and plug into AC and call it done... which is coincidentally how my tree is set up (except the star).

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
It's not about how many ground wires, it's about how much metal is there to keep the potential the same so the data signal has a clean reference. (One thick wire is better than 7 little ones.)

If I had your config I would run 2x differentials (8 ports total) and get the receiver w/the power supply. That signal is designed to transmit cleanly over a longer distance. But I have all that stuff lying around here, so it's an easy choice for me... two data jacks and plug into AC and call it done... which is coincidentally how my tree is set up (except the star).

Thanks - only reason why I opted not to do it this way is the distance is only ~4m (12ft)