3.x DC Strings & fading

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I've finally got some DC Blue Icicle strings wired up and being controlled from an AVD48 board (Pi running the show) and I'm sequencing in Vixen 3. It has allowed me to draw in fades and twinkle effects but these have not come out when played back from the Pi. It will only seem to do static on/off actions.
I notice that the fades & twinkles are white in colour on the sequencer and blue for the on/offs, perhaps a giveaway as to what will work and what won't? But surely a simple fade or twinkle from a 27v DC string is achievable??

Please help :)

Attachments

• Vixen sequence.jpg
    Vixen sequence.jpg
    774.8 KB · Views: 23

Maple

New elf
I have 3 sets of blue icicle lights up on my house, use vixen, and run them off an AVD24 board. No issues with fades, twinkles, or even candle. The only difference I can see is the Pi (which I don't have). my icicles are lytewors from buntings a few years ago (still the 3-wire) and run 31V.

anyway you can hook the board up to the PC and run it like that? maybe worth trying if you can.

I have also found a few glitchy things, and have to re-create the whole show in vixen, but sometimes that fixes it. (like when I edit a sequence, I need to rebuild the show editor part - not sure why, but the change doesn't take automatically).

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I'm thinking its something to do with my setup in Vixen if you say you can fade & twinkle with no issue. I can manually fade & turn on/off the lights via a DMX tester (da-e1.31) so I don't think it's the board not being able to handle fades.
I think because within Vixen the fade I put in are represented in white and thse are the effects that do not work in real life. The static on & off effects are shown in blue in Vixen and these work in rela life.
Did that make sense?!

Maple

New elf
It may be the set up, not sure. I can tell you though, regardless of the string I have (I think I have about 20 strings) or what colour the actual lights are of the string (Pink, purple, blue, multicolour), I can drag the fade effect into the desired element in vixen, it shows up as white and all it's controlling is the power level to the lights. There is no data, so I wouldn't think that the colour representation of the effect in the element would play a part. I did test turning my Multicolour strings to be Blue in the Vixen effect, and was no change to the light display (both did a fade over 2 seconds).

would it be worth trying to rebuild the element itself, map it to the board on its own, and try it then? or maybe look at the element in the display setup and make sure it is set up as standard?

I'm still relatively new to this game, and after trying to incorporate pixels this year, have a lot more grey hair.

JPB

Full time elf
I have DC lights that fade without issue in V3 but I am running them via a RenC & Grinch which is different to you.
In V3 I have no filter assigned, just patched directly to the board and have the colour assigned to the element so that I can see it in preview and sequencing.

Jon

franky_888

Full time elf
Hey.

I'm having no issues with vixen 3 and fpp for fades. Mind you I'm using an ecg p2 and a 2811dc30 board.

I just made sure to keep the resolution at 25ms when exporting the sequence.

I set all of my string elements to white colour in vixen regard less of their actual colour.

Hope you find a solution!

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I would say it's your color filters in the Display setup. If it's wrong ensure you unpatch first then set up color filter for single color the patch again. This should fix your issue.

I use many DC strings and RGB and they wrk fine.