default gateway on pixlite?

darylc

404 darylc not found
Hi Guys,

I really need to add a default gateway on my pixlite 16.

My pixlite lives in the front yard, and so for security reasons is on a different network/ip range to my sequencer etc E1.31 traffic will traverse my router as it does for my ECG-P2's

Is there any way to do this with a pixlite?

Thanks!
Daryl

damona

Full time elf
Are you using DHCP, DHCP Static or Static. In the world of multicast, you do not need to care what the IP address is. I suspect your not using Multicast, as you need to configure it to go across networks. DHCP should give it the router information, not sure if the pixlight will listen.

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
Hi Daryl,

The PixLite doesn't need the default gateway because it's not trying to connect out to the internet etc. I think what you need to do is focus on getting your router to pass the E1.31 data onto the other side of the network. If you are using unicast, then your router will be the one to resolve that the destination IP (the PixLite controller) is on another subnet and needs to pass it along. E1.31 only goes way one to the PixLite, if your router passes it on, the PixLite won't care where it came from.

If you are using multicast that's when you might need some more complicated routing rules in your router that tell it to bridge the multicast between those subnets. I'm pretty sure the area you need to look is in your router and how it bridges data between the subnets. I'm not a network engineer though, that's my best understanding of how it works. There are quite a few network engineers around ACL from memory, maybe one of them can clarify.

damona

Full time elf
Luke,
Could you please add support default route to the device. And if required add support in your configuration software to have a list of networks to scan as well as local. I assume the configuration software uses TCP for configuration. Also I would also suggest adding a feature which for trusted networks, so that E.131 can not be sent from any device and configuration passwords (I understand this feature is more on the commercial side). Passwords may be over the top if the device can not support SSL to protect the password.

Cheers
Damon.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Damon, for the uninitiated and the electrically ignorant, what is the purpose of what you are trying to achieve. Are you concerned that people could plug into you pixlite and hack your network/access your computer.

I'm not being critical or having a go at you. I just can't understand what you are talking about and although there is no way I can solve your issue I am interested in what you are trying to achieve.

damona

Full time elf
1. Their is currently no way to configure the system/hardware, if it is on a different subnet.
2. I would be surprised if all communication is UDP. e.g configuration of the device or uploading new firmware.
3. Adding a network access list is about making the product more secure. If these products were used in the TV show X-Factor, image what would happen if someone decided to send a impolite message via E.131 Multicast.

For me putting the cables running outside on a different network is enough, firewall the whole network is enough, for me personal, support for a default route would be fine.