Dell 2980 Server PS -

Pyropeter

New elf
Hi Guys, Come across some super cheap Dell 2900w power supplies, but believe I need to jump some pins to get them to output the 12V. Any advice greatly received ! TIA

darylc

404 darylc not found
chatgpt says:
Hello! It sounds like you have come across some Dell server power supplies (PS) that are rated at 12V and 3000W. These server power supplies are commonly used in server setups and other high-power applications.

In some cases, server power supplies may not immediately provide power output until specific pins are bridged. This is known as "power-on" or "PS_ON" functionality. Server power supplies often require a signal on the PS_ON pin to initiate the output and provide power to the connected devices.

To turn on the power supply, you would typically need to short or bridge the PS_ON pin (sometimes labeled "PS_ON#" or "PS_ON\_" or similar) to a ground pin (usually labeled "COM" or "GND"). By connecting these two pins, the power supply should start providing power to the connected devices.

However, it's essential to be cautious when working with high-power equipment like server power supplies. Ensure you are familiar with the power supply's specifications and pinout before attempting to bridge any pins. If you're not experienced with working on electronics, it might be best to seek assistance from someone with the necessary knowledge and expertise.

Also, keep in mind that using server power supplies in ways other than their intended purpose may void any warranty they have, and it's important to be aware of safety precautions when working with high-voltage equipment.

If you have more specific details about the model of the Dell server power supplies you have, I might be able to provide more accurate instructions or information. Feel free to share more details, and I'll do my best to assist you.

DarkwinX

Full time elf
Chat GPT did decide to sneakily exchange Amps for Watts when I asked it to calculate some power usage the other day.. might need to ask for its sources!