Derf's 2018 Build (Contains a lot of photos)

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Hi Everyone,

I thought I would just post some pictures / videos on my current main controller build. Welcome to lots of feedback / recommendations throughout. I'll Keep updating or posting to this thread as my build continues.

Click the Spoiler below to show all photos on builds (This is due to the image files being quite large).

Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.

So this is currently where I am up to. The next stages will be to order materials for mounting pixels. I will probably end up using "C" channel cable duct for straight runs and then just zip ties for other components.

Queen - The "Build" must go on

Last edited:

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Update No 1.

*Mini heart attack avoided when I edited the OP and it said "Max 10 images allowed" then all my information and pictures went away.

I'm going to have to post them in multiple parts due the the maximum of 10 images per post.

mbl111

New elf
I threw this together as a quick demo trial. It has a 12mm bolt (nut countersunk into the board to stop twisting)
I simply flick a chalk line or draw a line with permanent marker down the length of a 2m piece of 25mm conduit and follow the line whilst drilling. Pretty pleased with the result.
Any advice on how to keep this line straight down the length of the conduit? I kinda figured this would be the best way to keep my pixels in a line but I couldn't work out how to stop my hand/conduit from moving off center

Michael Evans

New elf
Any advice on how to keep this line straight down the length of the conduit? I kinda figured this would be the best way to keep my pixels in a line but I couldn't work out how to stop my hand/conduit from moving off center
To mark a straight line place two lengths of 25mm conduit on the ground and hold them side by side against each other.
Run a marker down the point between the two lengths where they meet.
If done correctly you will end up marking a straight line running the full length of both pieces of conduit simultaneously.

videoman3857

Full time elf
To mark a straight line place two lengths of 25mm conduit on the ground and hold them side by side against each other.
If done correctly you will end up marking a straight line running the full length of both pieces of conduit simultaneously.

Nice tip.
I have a jig for drilling holes in conduit and sometimes it tends to slightly screw around.
A guide line would definitely keep me on track

mbl111

New elf
Fantastic Tip! Just drilled my first length of conduit and the holes are perfect! Now just to work on expanding the back holes and cleaning up the front holes :)

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Update 4:

A lot has happened before updates. I've been extremely busy getting everything ready for the show season. But here is another update over a lengthy time period.