Di electric grease?

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
I hear the Americans taking about using this sort of grease for their connections. Is this used here or do we call it something else?

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
I had the same idea for this year to combat the Qld summer storms. I'll ask my mate tomorrow who's and electronics guru and lives in Mackay.

darylc

404 darylc not found
I don't use it, and after many many years doing this I've only had maybe 2 or 3 single pins get corroded. Sounds messy stuff...

TerryK

Retired Elf
I have had electrical connections outside for the most part during all seasons. I've not used anything like this and so far I recall only replacing a single connector which rusted more than corroded. I would think that waterproof connectors would be a better solution.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I used on every connector last year. Messy stuff... will never use again. It helps with water intrusion but also absorbs dust/dirt.. All of my connections have a paste of dielectric grease and dirt..

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
I have waterproof connectors so maybe I will give it a miss

TerryK

Retired Elf
I would be hard pressed to suggest the Jaycar Conductive Grease. Other than being messy, if it migrates away from its original point of use you may find it has created a high resistance path between connections.

Both Jaycar products and the mentioned Permatex all have their uses. In industry I've used numerous electrical products in paste/liquid form and their common factor is the additional aggravation during repairs or when they get smeared somewhere one does not want or can't have them.

marmalade

cats & pixels
..agree. I've used deg on exposed outdoor (non waterproof) connectors successfully for 3 consecutive years. It certainly helps stop corrosion, but collects every piece of dust,dirt,insect in the vicinity. Having said that, without it the connectors would have been useless by now.

It's typically designed to be used in sealed items (switch contacts, wipers, slip rings etc) but does have it's uses when no alternative is available and are going to change the connectors at a later date.