Differences between white and black pcb

tmarchuk

New elf
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and fairly new to Christmas lighting. Last year I started with 32 LOR channels but I'm reading more about RGB intelligent pixels and hoping to add a bunch to my display. I read through the 101 manual which was amazingly useful, thanks. I've tried searching the forum but I can't seem to find any information on the tradeoffs between white and black PCBs for intelligent pixel strips. Is there a significant difference in the light coverage between pixels or something or is this just personal aesthetics or perhaps you just match it to the house color?

Thanks in advance.

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
Welcome to ACL! As far as I know there is no difference between the white and black ws2811 strips. They all use the 5050 led's and the same controller ic chip. The black would be better for a total blackout show, but not much. I run the white strips and on a dark night you can't see them. Hope this helps;
John

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL.

The differences are aesthetic as far as the differences go but there is an advantage on each colour depending on the use.
Black is used when creating matrices especially if you want it viewed during the day as the black allows for the LED light to stand out far better than the white PCB. Black will give more of a light point effect

White will reflect a bit more light forward and fill the coating with light better than the black. So white will give a slightly more diffused look but not by very much.

Charl Marais

For my twins was the excuse I started with.
Hi mate.

Agree with the comments above. I run both types of strips and although the white will diffuse the light slightly better at close range there is no perceivable difference at around 12meters and more away from the show.

Regards