Different camera but similar results - think it is the operator :(

Charl Marais

For my twins was the excuse I started with.
This is driving me up the walls. I cannot get a video of my show as the relative brightness of the elements just seem to baffle each camera I have thrown at it (literally almost tried this last night).

http://youtu.be/6PzKp81HoEI

This video does not do the show justice but at least the viewers seem happy because even shooting this at 1 in the morning I had people come up and park their cars to watch.

ecbailey

Full time elf
I'd guess the cameras are adjusting to show the projection properly and as it is relatively bright other parts show darker. Possibly turn that part off and then overlay it afterwards similar to what Shell did for her matrix I think.

I have a canon G16 with a dial that lets you manually adjust what the camera is doing in terms of how bright the light in the image is...not sure what the technical name is but even then I don't know if it'd help in your situation.

kane

Dedicated elf
Not that I've bothered filming anything this year, but when I have filmed, I've found that filming at dusk (rather than waiting until it's dark) works better for me. Might be worth a shot to see if that helps.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
what camera are you using??

I use a digital SLR and have found this has given me the best results. I can do it at any time of the night

I have it set at 1/50 f3.5 (due to that being the lowest on the lens would prefer lower) iso between 100- 400

love my Nikon D3200

Charl Marais

For my twins was the excuse I started with.
I am using a Canon 5D Mk3 at 6400 ISO 1/250 shutter and 4 aperture.

Think I am going to try the early morning thing and see if that works.

kane

Dedicated elf
Charl Marais said:
I am using a Canon 5D Mk3 at 6400 ISO 1/250 shutter and 4 aperture.

Think I am going to try the early morning thing and see if that works.

By dusk, I mean before it's gone fully dark (locally around 7:30pm, obviously different for everyone)

Would probably have the same results at dawn (in the morning), but that would require a bit more dedication!

I've also found the best results with a GoPro - haven't really bothered too much with the SLR (we have the same camera as you, but I leave that with the wife to tackle!)