Differential Receivers

DjSyko12

New elf
Hello
I am new to the pixel light hobby and I just wanted to get some reassurance before I get too far ahead of myself. So far I have purchased the Falcon F16v5 controller and a Raspberry Pi which I installed the FPP software on. I have only 1 string of lights connected so far which I have on port 1 on the Falcon. I plan on adding more and more as I can. I will have some props out in the front yard including a matrix I want to put around the mailbox pedestal and some random props in the grass. To my understanding, any pixels that are connected directly to the Falcon need to all have the same ground to avoid flickering issues etc. Does this also apply to anything ran off differential receiver boards using an ethernet cable? I am assuming that if I run an ethernet cable out to the front yard all I would need to run is the ethernet itself and a standard extension cord which will power separate power supplies for the individual props. I made a drawing to help illustrate my intentions. Could someone please take a look and let me know if what I am planning will work or will I still need to run an additional cable to connect the grounds from all the power supplies together? Thank you for your help in advance!
Also notice that in my drawing, The pixel matrix I am thinking about doing around the mailbox may be 5v pixels. Will this be ok to run like that?

Attachments

• Controller Wiring Layout Front Yard.jpg
    Controller Wiring Layout Front Yard.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 15

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Yes, but all of us will wag our fingers at you for calling it an "Ethernet cable"... it is a kind of cable that can be used for Ethernet but the receivers don't use Ethernet.

Also correct that you don't need a common ground between the controller and receivers. One of the features of the differential signal is that it uses a twisted pair for the pixel data rather than just one wire, and the signal is read as a differential on the pair without any other reference.

DjSyko12

New elf
:) I know its not "ethernet" but I'm just used to calling it that. Awesome, so that will help me not have a ton of wires running back and forth. Thank you for the quick response! I have another question about channels and universes but I will post that on a different thread.