Distances? (Yeah, it's me again) ;)

Slite

Full time elf
Ok, so I was thinking abit more about how I want to set things up for next year... And what hit me first of all is that I'm on a pretty big "yard".

Basicly we have 6000 square meters (64000 square feet) of yard, and our house is at the back of this. So, vieweing distance will be a problem I guess? We can overcome that by putting some stuff down towards the access road.

But thats a minor issue, the main issue that cropped up in my head is... distances for signals. I mean for instance, if I go with E1.31 that is cat5 based, and with 100Mbit ethernet, max distance from the switch is 100 meters (give or take a couple of meters)

And I'm looking at distances over a 100 meters for som things, can i "cascade" swtiches and thus have them act as signal boosters?

For instance, where I plan to place my "Tune to whatever" sign is most likely something like 200 meters away from where my house is. BUT halfway there is our "gardenshed" (I say gardenshed but it's a lot bigger than a shed really), this "shed" is equipped with both 400v Three-phase and 220 one-phase electricity, so I can easily get a ethernetcable down there and mount a switch in there. Can I then user that to boost the signal for my info-sign, and maybe other stuff if I want to have things out in the "garden" to do stuff as well?

Do I make sense?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The other relevant distance is the dmx distance when transmitted via rs485. It is limited to 1.2km which kinda makes it easy when it comes to yards.

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Is there any reason "The shed" cant be the central point for everything ie computer and controllers etc?

Bird

LOR user
Beacy said:
Is there any reason "The shed" cant be the central point for everything ie computer and controllers etc?
I agree. If the shed can be secrued, and if it is more central to your display, it would save you money on cables and wires.

Slite

Full time elf
Well, there is the fact that it is not heated, so right now it's minus ten celsius in there.... PC's doesnt really like that :)

Bird

LOR user
Slite said:
Well, there is the fact that it is not heated, so right now it's minus ten celsius in there.... PC's doesnt really like that :)

Oops sorry, forgot where you were located.

Well which would be cheaper? Long wires or a small heat tape inside a box with the PCs in the yard shed? :)
Always more than one way to accomplish something. ;)

Slite

Full time elf
I think it doesnt matter where i put my "mission control" really, since most of my stuff will be located around the house, thats where most of my cable will be concentrated. As for the shed, I might use that as a "sub control" and just have a cat5 to it and put a switch in there so I can use that for the stuff I wanna have out in the garden and thats moste likely where I'll have my fm transmitter as well (and antenna)