DIY Christmas - Pixel Mega Tree Mounting Strips . New Zealand Interest thread

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
I am in the process of designing my 3rd mega and have 3100 12mm pixels ready.
I have tried different ideas making holes and also trying to import punched material from China but that option fell flat due to cost for small quantity.
My pixels are 3" centres.
I would be interested in a group purchase.
Are you looking at the mesh, the plastic or the metal strips? I am guessing the plastic strips.
[SIZE=78%] [/SIZE]

davrus

Silent elf
His product is the HDPE plastic strips, 1 inch centres (so good for 3 inch), 8 foot lengths (with holes for joining strips together - he made a 40 foot length to test them)

davrus

Silent elf
I asked what the cost would be for NZ. He replied ...

"I have a large flat rate box going to Australia with 20lbs of strips (180 pcs) and it was $80.50 for shipping."

Thats about 44c shipping per strip, assuming that NZ cost is about the same as Oz. WE then also have the postage cost in NZ to split up the bulk buy.

I don't need many strips, so we need another person to join in to get to the total of 180 strips.

I am thinking this is a one-time only deal, so want to get in while it is possible.

James70818

New elf
Hey guys,

I created these strips out of frustration over building my pixel Megatree last year.

Freight is horrible! I am looking for better ways to ship in bulk to you but haven't found any better solutions than the large flat rate box from the United States Postal Service. That box cost $80.50(US) to ship and has a 20lb. max weight limit. At 20 Lbs, I can ship 180 of the strips.

If any one has any shipping options let me know and I'll look into them. I would love to work with you all and help in any way.

Thanks,
James

davrus

Silent elf
NZ Post has a system for purchases in the USA where the shop will not send to NZ.

So you get it sent to the NZ Shop depot (in Portland, OR), and they then send it on. Their postage cost for 20lbs would be $NZ102.75. (This includes their handling fee of $NZ12.50). So it is more expensive than you sending direct, and we can forget about that option.

My thought about this is that NZ Post would surely have tried to find the most cost effective way to get parcels from USA to NZ, so I do not think we will get anything cheaper than the quote that you have, James.

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Hi how many do you want? I'm probably happy to take the balance of the 180 that you don't want.
Once they are here there may be some more interest. The order would be about NZ$2 each 8ft section. Plus local shipping from where-ever they land.
I would be happy if they were left in strips of 4 or 6 or even 10 wide. With the cutter he should be able to leave some joining sections that could be easily cut through with a Stanley knife to make the individual single strips. More versatile for making a matrix/signs etc.