DIY RGB for Beginners - Fasteddys RGB info & links

Robbo

Full time elf
artzy said:
To Break this down for a simple person (me) each string needs a TP3244 controller and 4 of these plug into a EthCon Gateway, is that right. I am looking at doing a pixel mega tree with 32 strings of 65 pixels

I'm not entirely up to play on this either but thinking of doing a similar project of a 5 meter tree and most likely 56 nodes to a string with 100mm spacing, I'm told a TP3244 can run up to 170 pixels/nodes (still confused of the difference between these 2 terms) which means I can run 3 strings off a TP3244 in standard DMX mode.

I am also told the tp3244's can be daisy chained and you can have up to 512 channels per DMX universe.

You are right when you say the TP3244's connect to the ethcon gateway something like the DR4 with 4 outputs using E1.31 protocol.

I am also led to believe that you can rn both these products in hyper DMX mode quadrupling your channel count by increasing the standard baud rate of 250kbps to 500, or even 1000.

The only other thing to consider is that 50 nodes is about the standard length of a string before you may start to experience voltage drop and may need to inject power every 50 nodes or so or in your 65 node string feed it from both ends.

As I said I am not entirely up to speed on this but this is what i have picked up so far from asking people in chat....someone maybe be able to add to it further in case I may have misinterpreted

Slite

Full time elf
Would be nice to see this updated with recommendation of other controlers instead of the discontinued ones :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I am working on a new current version for this, hopefully it will be done in a week.
I have decided to remove this from being a sticky thread due to the threads age.