DMX Channel Count

Ed Slonka Jr

New elf
Just need to get this straight in my head. If you have a 2801 pixel string with 50
nodes on the string is this 50 dmx channels or 150 dmx channels because of the RGB?

I keep confusing myself! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks, Ed

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
A pixel is 3 channels as it is Red, Green and Blue to each LED light. So a 50 pixel string will be 150 channels

Boof63

Senior elf
does this also apply to strings of led/incandescent lights that are the same colour. If so how many lights-bulbs are counted as channel. ie 20 metre string of warm white (for example) is this equivalent to 3 channels.
Eg DMX universe has 512 channels does this mean i could run 170 strings (length ????)
cheers boof63

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Boof63 said:
does this also apply to strings of led/incandescent lights that are the same colour. If so how many lights-bulbs are counted as channel. ie 20 metre string of warm white (for example) is this equivalent to 3 channels.
Eg DMX universe has 512 channels does this mean i could run 170 strings (length ??? ?)
cheers boof63
A single string like the one you reference to would be considered as 1 channel as thats all that it will use. Now if that same string had 2 sections and you controlled each section individually then that would be considered as 2 channels because thats how many you would have had to use..

fskiff

New elf
Hi,

First time posting. I'm new to this and just to see if I have this right, if I have 8 strings of 50 pixels (400 pixels total), and I want to control each bulb, that 1200 channels which would equate to 3 universes?

Thanks,
Fran

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
fskiff said:
Hi,

First time posting. I'm new to this and just to see if I have this right, if I have 8 strings of 50 pixels (400 pixels total), and I want to control each bulb, that 1200 channels which would equate to 3 universes?

Thanks,
Fran

8 strings x 50 pixels = 400 pixels

each pixel will use up 3 channels, one for Red, one for green and one for Blue

so 400 pixels x 3 = 1200 channels

So yes 1200 channels which you will need 3 universes to run as each universe is 510 channels when using pixels.