dmx dd-100 ws2801

moogle

New elf
Hi everyone,

I purchased a bunch of ws2801 strings from ray along with.a dd-100 mini dmx decoder. I was wondering about the wiring of the input. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Do i need a usb to dmx interface and then wire up a dmx plug to the decoder.

Or can i wire it up directly to a serial connector or does it not work like this?

Might be thinking along the wrong track

Thank.you

kane

Dedicated elf
moogle said:
I purchased a bunch of ws2801 strings from ray along with.a dd-100 mini dmx decoder. I was wondering about the wiring of the input. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Do i need a usb to dmx interface and then wire up a dmx plug to the decoder.

Or can i wire it up directly to a serial connector or does it not work like this?

Your first thought is correct - these dmx decoders only speak DMX, so you need something that will send them DMX. You can either get a USB to DMX Dongle, or you can look at an Ethernet to DMX gateway (such as an ECG-DR4) that has 4 DMX outputs.

That being said, I'm pretty sure that the dd-100 sends out a test pattern if no DMX is connected, so you may be able to get some blinky-flashy happening without having to connect anything else.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Kane said:
That being said, I'm pretty sure that the dd-100 sends out a test pattern if no DMX is connected, so you may be able to get some blinky-flashy happening without having to connect anything else.

This is correct, you will get a test pattern in the abscence of a DMX signal

Page 35 of the ACL 101 manual describes the DMX topgraphy and this is also shown in the layout map on page 71

If you are wanting to know which CAT5 cores you need to connect from a DMX source then refer to the running LOR in DMX presentation which shows the cores used for DMX
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1139.0.html

moogle

New elf
Thanks for the help. I forgot.about the diagram in the manual :-[

I might just get the j1sys and be done with it as this will be able to program my full size array when its complete
And i dont need any interfaces with the e1.3. No point in buying the dmx interface then switching.

Was going to wait for the p2 but want something to test with asap really.

runbren

New elf
I've been looking at a lot of pixel controllers and I don't understand why the dd100 is so cheap. Under $20? Is there something I'm missing? This little guy can control 512 dmx on ws2801 chips.
Also the j1sys is cheap.
What I'm really asking is has anyone used these and how effective would they be controlling singular strips of a mega tree?

JPB

Full time elf
The dd100 will control 512 pixels with a start at 1 and and end at 512 and has no adjustable parameters. I use one to control one stand alone element and it works great. Just need to make sure I have a keep alive signal going to it at all times so that it does not start it's inbuilt background fade sequence when I do not have the element active in the show.

I also have some J1sys controllers and these are much more flexible. I can control the speed I want them to talk to the pixels at ( usefull when the pixels are a bit further from the controller), I can start my pixels at what ever number I want, I can include null pixels and I can run more than 1 universe of a single output if I want. Lots more flexibility but it costs more.

Both are usefull.

Jon

runbren

New elf
Thanks. I have been leaning towards the J1sys. And recently found out their P2 can actually control 4 universes per string. A very effective little controller

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
These are cheaply built with no real protection at all. Ive had one burn up on power up. They are a very cheap budget alternative, but you get what you pay for.