DMX device configuration in LSP

jspaulding22

New elf
Need someone to help me out with this. I am new to the DMX world this year. I purchased two DMX flame thrower machines from Ray this year. I figured it would be pretty cool for my Halloween show. The machines come with the 10 dip switches for configuring the channel. I understand how to do this. My question is this: In LSP, I am up to channel 2400 with my lights. Since the flame machine can only be set, via the dip switches, up to channel 512. Do I need to renumber my LSP shows and fit the flame machine in the channels between 1 and 512? I am using a P12S to control my lights and the machines. Thanks.

Joe

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Joe, I can't help you with the dmx question sorry, but the flame thrower sounds very interesting. Could you please post up a link to what you purchased.

Thanks

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Bundy I think that flame thrower would come with a "go directly to jail. do not pass go" card if you used it in Australia any time during summer.
As far as the dmx goes you will need to configure the dmx output of the P12S to a given universe and then LSP will then have to be configured so that that universe is set as an E1.31 one with the IP being 10.10.10.10 or whatever you set it to.

jediknight2

Full time elf
Doesn't matter what channel it is in LSP, when you set the controller you will tell LSP what universe to send those channels to...

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
AAH said:
Bundy I think that flame thrower would come with a "go directly to jail. do not pass go" card if you used it in Australia any time during summer.

Yeah I figured it would be illegal and I am not planning on getting one (no matter how cool it could be) but was more interested in how it works, what sort of flame is generated etc.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You do not need to do this. you can use any channel number you like in LSP, its when you go to map these channel ranges to universes is when you go back to a 512 channel universe.

jspaulding22

New elf
Bundy - Here is the link to the Flame machines. Luckily Ohio, USA is not a dry area. Hopefully, if all goes good, I won't have any dangerous issues.

I think I configured it the way everyone is saying here. Here are screen shots of my LSP, P12S and the Flame Machine Configs.

LSP Config is set to Universe 30 and is 512 in size

P12S has Universe 30 and size 512 configured for the first DMX port.

Flame machine is set to channel 1 via the dip switches.

I am sure it is something simple I am missing. Thanks again guys. This site has been great for a noob to learn everything there is to learn about RGB lighting. Just did not realize how much work there was to convert to RGB. But it has been fun and enlightening.

Attachments

• OutputCFG.JPG
    OutputCFG.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 6
  • p12sDMXcfg.JPG
    p12sDMXcfg.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 5
  • FlameMachine.jpg
    FlameMachine.jpg
    663.9 KB · Views: 6

jspaulding22

New elf
UPDATE:

Got the flame machine working. Nothing to do with the channel settings at all. It actually ended up being the Intensity settings. Thanks to David and his da_e131 program I was able to determine the issue. In David's program I was able to get the flame machines to work. But not in LSP. I began looking at the differences in settings and most of them were the same. The only difference I saw (by accident) was the intensity settings. David's defaulted to a setting of 100. At first I thought it was 100% but I was wrong of course. So I went into LSP and modified the intensity settings of my effects to 100 or 39%. Then just like magic it all worked. Here is a link to a video of me testing the flame machines. Test Video. Thanks to all for your valuable input. I hope my explanation is clear enough and helps someone else some day.

Joe

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks for sharing. That will look fantastic as part of a display. Need to keep the kids well back though.