DMX2-18 Setup in xlights with F16V3

Scott Suine

New elf
Hi,
Just got my DMX2-18 today form Alan. Just a question re the setup of this device in xLights.
I will connect it to the F16V3 DMX port (#2 I have read is preferred). I currently run the standard FPP Pi gateway to the F16V3.
When I add the controller in xlights, I select Vendor and Model number, But what port do I select? the only option currently is not connected or the Bluetooth port on my mac. See attachment for screenshot.

I have set up 2 single pixel strings in my layout to start with. I then went to the Visualise screen for the DMX2-18 and dragged these to the Serial Port 1 controller. The first String connected, but I got an error "ERR: Invalid protocol on serial port 1: dmx" and I can't drag the second string across.

So I am assuming I have done something wrong here

Sorry first time playing with DMX

thanks
Scott

Attachments

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I am yet to play with any of the new xlights builds with the controllers tab and the visualiser on them but I would say that you would potentially set the board up as being E1.31 as it's an E1.31 connection from xlights to the F16 and/or FPP to the F16. It would potentially be configured as a Falcon F16 with the port being the 2nd DMX port if you can dive that far into the config in xlights.

Scott Suine

New elf
I made progress - have the DMX2 18 setup on the right channel of the F16. I can now have xlights control the lights on each channel. However, only one half of the string is working. When I run test modes form both the DMX2-18 and the F16 both channels on the string work, so I am guessing it is the config for the layout that is not right.
The screen shot attached shows what I have set up. What am I doing wrong here?
I have set up 2 Single line models (Single Line, Singel Line 2). I have tried different settings of #strings but still only one side of the lights work

Attachments

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Sorry for a potentially incoherent reply Scott. I've been out in the sun all day on a lovely 36C day. Parents should no be allowed to bid on online auctions especially when the pickup day is the hottest day of Spring.
I personally use the custom model and have the 2 channels staggered horizontally and vertically so that horizontal and vertical fades turn on 1 half of the strings before the other.
gumby heads up2.jpg