DMX2-24 | Connect 2 strings in parallel to same channels. Would it work?

SimoG

New elf
I'm curious if it would work to connect 2 runs of 2 wire string lights to the SAME terminating block on the DMX2-24. I assume you would have to do it with identical lights (same manufacturer/model, # of lights, etc). Would it work? Is it a dumb/dangerous move?

I have a number of strings with 250 lights, which in time I will replace with longer runs, but would allow the existing hardware to go further before needing another controller (and I have cut off the original connections so can't move them back to OEM controller).

Cheers
Simon

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
There's no reason why it wouldn't work. The LEDs are just as simple series/parallel arrangement, and it would be no different to connecting two strands together end-to-end as per the way they would be designed to run originally.

The one thing you need to watch is the maximum current available on a single port, which is 2A per port, with a total of 7.5A across all (based on the original fuse)
At 31V, this adds up to about 60W of lights per port, the 250 bunnings sets I have here are 6W each. So 10 sets.

SimoG

New elf
Awesome! Thank you.

I will keep this in mind for the expansions (planning for next year, but likely mid november)

Simon