Do i really need a second network

fugley

Apprentice elf
just wondering if I really need a second network or by chance I had made one for my controllers

fiber into the house
then ever goes to a 24 port switch for around the house
from that 24 port switch one cable goes to another 8 port switch where the fpp & controllers live

the thought is everything should play happily on the second switch and not need to leave that area ?

everything is hard wired and no wifi at all is used for show

There is no hard requirement to have a second network. Keeping it on your home network does simplify things significantly. No need to play with proxies or funny routing tables , internet just works from the controllers (important for those that need time or a path for doing upgrades, such as FPP and Baldrick).

You're right in that everything communicating between the devices plugged into the small such will remain on that switch.

Your xLights PC then can live anywhere and be able to talk to the controllers and show player for configuration and monitoring, and this is the traffic that will mostly traverse the link between the switches.

The only important thing to remember is use unicast E1.31 or DDP, avoid multicast as that WILL start impinging in your home network.

From a wiring perspective, no issue.

I would put a little thought into how you will assign IP addresses to the devices, and make sure they are reserved. You don't want someone else in the house plugging in an Amazon Echo Dot and taking out part of your show... which has happened.

No need for a separate 'show network' for many shows.
A switch between FPP & controllers keeps traffic off your router (unless it's DHCP, NTP, or out going to the internet).

Cheers .. had a couple of old routers lying around for the likes of things like this
although this might be one of those once in a blue mood case while ill leave it alone lol

Back