Do people tune in.

Madko

Full time elf
Hey all,

I was wondering and not sure how ill get an answer but we all are going to the effort or even have gone to the effort of setting up FM transmitters for the bypassers to tune into to listen to the music while viewing our displays.

Now I want to know if these people are actually tuning in. When people drive pass, most stop for a brief second or two to let the kids look and maybe listen. While they view our displays, are they actually reading the tune in sign and tuning in?

Is the effort of setting up a FM transmitter worth the $60 or would you get more success from some outdoor weatherproof speakers while trying not to annoy the neighbours?

This is Just my next stage of development for 2013 and I was wondering the effort vs outcome!

Cheers

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I have found that at first most people had no real clue of the use of the transmitter even though there was signage. A few times i would walk up to a car and say do you know you can tune your radio in and watch the lights dance to the music to just be given a look of puzzlement. Word now has spread over the last 3 to 4 years where most now know to tune in.

Most people who have never experienced a show with a transmitter cant comprehend thats you have your own FM transmitter, many times ive been asked if i work for a radio station or how did i get the radio station to play my music, they dont realize the i have my own FM tranmitter hooked up to my computer.

But as word spreads more and more people will realize that its done to music. I find putting up a decent sign before they even get to the display helps a lot because when they get to the display they are usually overwhelmed by all the colour and lights to actually notice a tune to sign.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I added a transmitter last year and signage was the biggest issue. I didn't get time to build a decent sized "tune to" sign but with the 2 little A4 sized ones I had along the fenceline I had a fair number of cars noticed it and switched on. It was often noticeable when people switched on as you'd here a jump in the music level. I have maybe 30% just do a drive by but as I'm on a dead end street they actually do 2 driveby's. Maybe 50% will stay for 1 song/sequence and the balance stay for more than 1 sequence while some stay for up to an hour and have a walk around, ask some questions and take a few photos. Even though I pump out some fairly loud music (a lack of neighbours is great) there are a number of visitors that have been coming for years but have never realised the lights were synched to music as they have the cars buttoned up tight and have music going in their cars.
Signage with the channel you're on and that you can see from 20m up the road is a must if you're going to add a transmitter.

kane

Dedicated elf
I think it depends on the type of display, and also the layout of the street.

In my situation, I have bushland across the road, which means there's a big verge area that people can park their cars and watch the display from. This results in a lot of people sitting there for quite a while to enjoy the show, especially later in the night. Some people seem to hang around for ages (over an hour for some people!!), while others for 5-10 minutes..

A few parents have said that having the music helps them keep the kids in the car, otherwise they want to get out and explore -which for some parents is a process in itself (depending on ages and number of kids!)

kel

Dedicated elf
Folks around here would be none the wiser unless we tell them that the lights are to the music ... not even sure my other half realises that we have a radio station :-\ However, we do play the music outside as well! :D

bbayjohn

Senior elf
Last year being my first sequenced year I started off with 2 signs
A scrolling sign placed in the top bedroom window
485734867_o.jpg

and a LED Promotional Writing Message Advertising Sign Black Board
placed in the middle of the display.

596756896_o.jpg

I found that people not many people were getting the message. So I made another, it is 2 sided. I placed it facing the up and down the road so that people would see it before they stopped out the front. This worked alot better than the other 2 signs. Most, but not all would tune in. Once people found out they would stay for much longer and even return to show others. I also made the ditto sign for the neighbour that you can see in the background
2012-12-09_20-01-02_984.jpg

2012-12-09_20-00-32_445.jpg

I was very concerned about people walking there dogs and the dogs peeing on the poll though.

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
As others have said, it does take time for people to realize that visitors can hear the music on the radio. Prominent signage helps, but so does an "Introduction" sequence which tells those on the footpath that there is a radio. I play my show as a continuous loop, so the introduction is repeated every 20 minutes or there abouts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CdS-gfilPE

I have two sets of outdoor speakers on my fenceline, 1 at the corner and another halfway down the long fence. (I live on a corner.) But the best viewing locations are across the street on the opposite footpaths. So viewers can hear the music when traffic is heavy, I set up 1 or 2 portable radios tuned to the FM station across the street and behind the viewers. This distributed source approach provides good sound coverage without having to have excessively loud speakers at one location.

Over the last couple of years, the volume of my music has increased very significantly and my neighbours have been very tolerant. Mind you, I live in a new housing area and when inside with windows closed, the music is barely audible.

barbotte

Apprentice elf
it took a while but people will get to used it .... few time i had to tell them but now after 2-3 year people know to do it ,,, i even remove the music outside so people stay in their car where its warm .... unless i am outside giving hot coco them the music outside is going ..that way you dont disturb the neigbourh
cheer

Madko

Full time elf
Great reponse! Looks like a sign and an outdoor speaker next to my letter box is the way to go.
Some great info and good advice about neighbour awareness!
Anyway, add sign, speaker and transmitter to the list of things to do!
Thanks guys

barbotte

Apprentice elf
Madko said:
Great reponse! Looks like a sign and an outdoor speaker next to my letter box is the way to go.
Some great info and good advice about neighbour awareness!
Anyway, add sign, speaker and transmitter to the list of things to do!
Thanks guys
you dont need outside speaker .... just a old crappy radio will do ..just tune it to the station lol
cheer

G

GoofyGuy

I find having a 4 foot tall matrix telling them exactly what to do helps greatly.

mborg10

Michael Borg
We had the same issue with signs. Being our first year we quickly made a sign but no one knew what was going on. Some thought it was for a competition and others thought i worked for a radio station. We went threw 3 signs before the message started getting across. Once they got the idea it made it all worth it. This year I plan to do a better backlit sign but also have an outdoor speaker in the garden with its own volume control near the letterbox so when I'm outside having a drink with the neighbours I can enjoy the music as well.

Trafficman

Teach Me!!!
I have two signs that tell everyone which channel but the new pixel tree will display message also this year. I have a funny feeling its going to be a bright year...

Jeff

Gray_magic

The CLAP is highly infectous and incurable!!!
i had 2 signs last year and found that almost half missed it. I'm sure this year more will know to tune in. I moved the signs like alot of us have and it improved. Like Geoff this year i plan on having a couple of weather proof speakers mounted to the fence and also have the FM transmission for those who dont get out of their car. i live in a small street and found that during the weeks leading up to christmas most viewers got out and walked as there was just too much traffic. My wife's besty is dating a police officer at the moment and i have been picking his brain on how we can close the street and make it local traffic only for the weekend nights and the 4-5 days leading up to christmas. he actually said it was quite easy if your neighbours are happy to let you.

jaredo

if (blink==true){ doFlash(); }
The first year I did my lights show I'm sure no one tuned in, despite having a message scrolling on the Ledtriks.
2nd and 3rd year lots tuned in, Almost every night one visitor cranks their car stereo with the windows down and I think everyone asks them about it and catches on. This also helps when people have to walk down to our block because the street is so full.

I scroll "TUNE TO 92.0FM" and pause on 92.0FM for about 10 seconds.

I've thought about doing speakers, but I sort of don't want to be playing music into the street. I think I put our neighbors through enough, with the amount of traffic that comes to the area lol.