Do you use a compressor or mixer?

indyeast83

New elf
Hey guys just a quick question I know most of the people that use FM transmitters for private radio stations also user some type of line compressor and mixer when hooking everything up. Do most of you just hook your computers right up to your transmitter or do any of you have a different setup?

I'm swapping out my transmitter made in china with a ramsey 30b this year and wondering if there is any reason I should consider adding a mixer and a compressor. In the past I have just hooked right up to the FM transmitter but quality of sound hasn't always been the best but I have also heard that can be the case with some of the Chinese made transmitters.
[SIZE=78%] [/SIZE]

kane

Dedicated elf
indyeast83 said:
Hey guys just a quick question I know most of the people that use FM transmitters for private radio stations also user some type of line compressor and mixer when hooking everything up. Do most of you just hook your computers right up to your transmitter or do any of you have a different setup?
I just hook my transmitter (an EDM model) direct to the PC audio output, and seems to work fine. (also have it connected via a splitter to a small amplifier that is hooked up to a couple speakers)

But will be interested to hear if anyone else does use anything else and whether it helps!

nato595

Let's do this!
PC straight to transmitter.
As I double as a DJ, I have a compressor/limiter/gate and mixers, but I would never have the need to use them on my light show. All of your compressing can be done, if needed, beforehand in an audio editing program.

ShayneT

Apprentice elf
Pretty much the same as others - PC headphone output to EDM. I have used a splitter in the past to split to the receiver which powers the outside speakers but the past two years I just turned the receiver to the EDM channel which is also a sort of check and balance to make sure the transmitter is working.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Same as others transmitter straight to PC. This year I want to try and have a splitter as well but have a Bluetooth output so I can hook up a portable speaker when I'm out the front. Haven't found what I'm after yet so I'll keep looking.

I

indudio

Hey,

I use a compressor and mixer. I do music recording on the side and for me quality in the sound is important. The compressor and mixer allowed me to get the same volume and quality as the local FM music stations here with a fully eq sound. For me personally the sound straight out of the PC was tinny, and subject to distortion. With the mixer i was able to eq it out and with the compressor boost the signal to the absolute max without distortion . I had comments from 2 people who worked in radio as engineers and couldn't believe how good the quality of the signal and sound from such a small transmission.

But again I am an audio engineer so so that's why I do it and I already had the gear lying around.

So depending on your situation do what's best for u.

kane

Dedicated elf
indudio said:
I use a compressor and mixer. I do music recording on the side and for me quality in the sound is important. The compressor and mixer allowed me to get the same volume and quality as the local FM music stations here with a fully eq sound. For me personally the sound straight out of the PC was tinny, and subject to distortion. With the mixer i was able to eq it out and with the compressor boost the signal to the absolute max without distortion . I had comments from 2 people who worked in radio as engineers and couldn't believe how good the quality of the signal and sound from such a small transmission.
Do you have any recommendations on entry level mixers that could be used?

indyeast83

New elf
indudio said:
Hey,

But again I am an audio engineer so so that's why I do it and I already had the gear lying around.

So depending on your situation do what's best for u.
Thank you everyone for your feedback.

You should takes some pics of your setup. I'm very interested to see what exactly you have and how you have it setup. The way you describe the sound as being tiny is exactly my complaint last year the music just seemed flat with no dynamics to it even though it was stereo quality.