double-power-cord 30 amp LOR1602W

USCS30

New elf
hello everyone! hope everyone had a great holiday! i have downloaded the beginners manual, read it all and STILL don't understand all the electrical terms! it is all a foreign language to me. actually, i wasn't sure if i should post here or in the rgb led section. hopefully this is fine! anyways, i have three double-power-cord 30 amp LOR1602W units that i have been using with regular led strands. I want to go ALL RGB LED's (nodes, strips, ribbon, etc...) next holiday season. yes, i do have a lot to learn and practice, but i'm sure i will have it down by the time it rolls around! i am just lost on what items i would need to run off my LOR units, using rgb led material. i was reading a power switching supply, entacc items for dmx, software, etc... i am absolutlely lost and confused! i bought the holiday coro starter package to practice but i would like to try to get a jump on information now so that i'm prepared for later! i want to outline my house, windows, and door with rgb ribbon lights. about three rgb spotlights, six bushes (not too big), and a megatree. the bushes and megatree can get some nodes thrown on (these were my thoughts). i'm sure reality may be differnet than what i'm thinking but for all that, there has to be a lot of stuff that i would need to purchase so all this can work in harmony! any help would be great...or advice! i have a 220 breaker in my house. i'm in the u.s.

z_special

Full time elf
I totally understand where you are coming from last year was my first year And it was a little confusing to start from scratch. I think the first thing you have to think about how you wish to communicate to you cards do you wish to continue using the Lor dongle or move Into e1.31 and do you have to upgraded software depending on what you r using. Hope this helps

Zane

gigogig

gigogig
oh where to start? the guid is a good place (read it twice it helps), also i would recommend dropping in on a online mini confrance thread :http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,2428.msg27963.html#msg27963.

as to use of the lor controllers, there probably not the items you need for rgb lights, not to say you cant use them just like you always have but rgb lights need new controllers that need new powersupplys.....

so to do rgb would need to narrow down what type of rgb as in dumb vs smart rgb. dumb is tipicaly cheaper but smart usaly isent that much more and i recomed going streat to smart. btw you can do both, but i my mind why?

for dumb you need atlest some dc controllers as apposed to the ac controllers you have now. lots of options so take time in making your pick

for smart you also need a new controller, and theres probably even more options here, the three big "brands" to chose from are j1sys , sandevices, and pixelnet. i run j1sys and love it

almost all rgb lights are dc powerd, so youl need some dc powersupplys ether way, the good news is that pixels shouldn't need a lot of power so normal us 110 outlet power will likely be enough 15amps of 110 will drive a lot of rgb leds

USCS30

New elf
ok, nice! thanks for some info, it will help me as i progress through the spring, summer, and fall before winter arrives again! hopefully by then i can be familiar with all this by reading and getting help from experienced hobbists! the lighting that i'm actually interested in is the rgb led intelligent flex strips (5m lengths). i bought a holiday coro sample pack and followed the videos! well, i must say for someone who truely hates electricity (like drinking and driving...we don't mix), i was impressed after allowing my stubborn 15 year old to have the honors of plugging it in hahahaha!!!! i was waiting for an "ouch or oh $%#!" to come out of his mouth. the lights came on instead! i was happy as a pig in poop! so, now i know how the wiring gets hooked up to the power and controller, i have many more unanswered questions. such questions would be like: hooking up multiple trips and does each strip need it's own power supply and controller? if not is there a short cut? my goal is to try and control each strip independantly (what strip of lights go on/off and what colors will be on at a specific time). i have lor software ver. S3 which can be setup to help with the dmx end. dmx is another road i have to go down to learn as well. i have to brush up on that to understand how it works. thanks again and your help is greatly appreciated! i took a look at the guide again and a lot of the stuff is super helpful while some of the other stuff is a foreign language to me still :( thanks again!