Dream Color 8 channel SPI output amplifier

nutz4lights

Full time elf
Hey all,

I have a few questions... based around this product I just saw on Ray's site:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/8-ports-output-TTLSPI-signal-amplifier-DC12-24V-input-8-SPI-signal-output/701799_1750722050.html

First off... I have seen multiple controllers on his site that say they are "Dream Color" controllers that also work with WS2811 and other pixel options. What is dream color and how is it related to WS2811 pixels, which is what I use the most?

Second, reading the description of the product linked above, it seems as if this amplifier would take one set of data in and send it out simultaneously to eight outputs. That could be useful if, for instance, you want to use smart pixels but wanted eight elements to do the same thing at the same time for very little investment ($10).

Surely I must be missing something?

Thanks,

bigstott

New elf
Dream color is a branding name... don't worry too much about that. Just concentrate on what the controller drives (like 2811 or 6803) and how many pixels it will drive.

The amplifier is basically taking the signal that you setup for that particular set of pixels and multiplying buy the number of outputs. Have never seen one installed but it seems logical to use. You always have to remember you are going to need to power inject each element.

nutz4lights said:
Hey all,

I have a few questions... based around this product I just saw on Ray's site:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/8-ports-output-TTLSPI-signal-amplifier-DC12-24V-input-8-SPI-signal-output/701799_1750722050.html

First off... I have seen multiple controllers on his site that say they are "Dream Color" controllers that also work with WS2811 and other pixel options. What is dream color and how is it related to WS2811 pixels, which is what I use the most?

Second, reading the description of the product linked above, it seems as if this amplifier would take one set of data in and send it out simultaneously to eight outputs. That could be useful if, for instance, you want to use smart pixels but wanted eight elements to do the same thing at the same time for very little investment ($10).

Surely I must be missing something?

Thanks,