Dream Colour Strip and CCR controllers

ChristmasCanada

New elf
Iv'e been reading and reading on RGB strips and how they can be controlled from LOR software. Im looking to outline house,doors windows ect with strips. I'd like to save some money and buy the strips with the 6803 chips and run them from CCR controllers. I have orderd 2 CCRs complete with controllers from LOR and just got one Ebay Dream Colour strip today to compare the 2.

My qustions are how many strips end to end can be run off one CCR controller.?? I know I'll have to run power between each strip. Whats the best way to mount them PVC.?? Is the Superstar software the easiest way to program strips for LOR.??

Thanks Mark

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Using the CCR controller you can connect multiple strips end to end but there are limitations. So due to the way the CCR controller works with sending data to get the 2 million colours from a 32000 colour chip, it send the data 4 times per cycle to give the impression of having more colours. By doing this the bandwidth limitations come into effect. So what does this mean, if you add a second strip then 1 controllable pixel will actually be made up of 2 pixels instead of the one pixel with one strip. You also reduce the amount of dimming steps and thus the amount of producable colours..
It is outline with in the CCR manual which can be downloaded from the LOR site on what limitations apply depending on how many strips are connected.
Also the power supply for a CCR unit can only supply enough power for 1 strip.

mschell

Full time elf
Not to dissuade you from using the CCR controllers, but there are several DMX->pixel controllers available at an inexpensive price if you're willing to do some of the assembly yourself.

As with all the pixel type strings, whether strip or node or module based, you'll need to add power connections after so many lights. The controller can send the data signals to turn pixels on/off for lots of strings, but power is the real issue.

Check out DIYC - doityourselfchristmas.com for more options for controllers, especially if you're in North America. Not because the guys here aren't well versed in things, but they run their lights on 240V and 24V. Check out the wiki here on ACL or on DIYC as well. There's lots of information on controlling pixels in both places.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Hi Christmas Canada. Welcome to ACL.

As already suggested there are lots of options for using CCR's and a more DIY approach. some threads in here to have a look at would be here. Some of the more popular controllers we use for pixel control both 6803 and 2801 can be achieved from Ed's boards at j1sys. These boards would have no problem with controlling them with the right power injection.

Pixad-8 8 Lenths of 6803

ECG-P12R 12 Length of 6803

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
To answer your other 2 questions, I use 25mm electrical conduit to mount all my strip, but be careful with long lengths of strip and conduit, the bend in the conduit when moving around the strip and conduit can bend enough to damage some pixels so be sure to keep it as straight as possible when moving long lengths around best to use 2 people.
I use LightShow Pro for all my sequencing which has some great tools for RGB lights, it has the most support as far as using different protocols and is the best program in our hobby when it comes to sequncing large amounts of RGB and pixel based lighting. If you where going to be predominantly LOR gear than S3 and superstar software will do nicely. If you just going to do a small show (under 250 channels) then vixen (which is free) will work very nicely as well, but its not very good with RGB and pixels. Vixen 3 will be out next year with much better RGB and pixel support. So there are a few options when it comes to sequencing software.

ChristmasCanada

New elf
Thanks for all the info everyone..After some more reading i think I'll go with just Basic RGB leds for doors and windows and the Smart/digital strips to outline the roof. I think the LOR 12V DC board will work for just the basic RGB strips and use the CCR controllers for the digital strips..?There's so much to learn about RGB lighting its making me crazy but excited.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If you can get the stuff quick enough from LOR this year than that would be the best choice. They have been having major supply issues so I hope you can get what you want.

LOR is great to start and learn with as it allows you to branch out into DIY and DMX later if you wish as the LOR CCR and controllers will run in a native DMX universe. This is the approach i took and now i use all my LOR gear mixed in with my DIY and DMX gear